Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

andrewharlan2 t1_jedhv44 wrote

Yes, read the book. And then read Project Hail Mary.

CommanderRaj t1_jedi662 wrote

I'll second this. Especially if you're worried about repeating the same story with the Martian, go with Project Hail Mary. It's more ambitious, still as well-executed, and easily as funny.

hosenbundesliga t1_jedj7w8 wrote

Yes third this - and the book is better than the movie - i did not like the movie that much they change bits. Project Hail Mary is fab

danisauruswrecksall t1_jedmxfo wrote

Or, if you can, listen to the audiobook. Easily my favorite audiobook of all time. You will NOT be disappointed!

qwerasdfzxcvasdfqwer t1_jedtthv wrote

Agree with the audiobook rec on phm - and I absolutely hate audiobooks. I only did this book on audio by fluke but I'm so glad I did

PlannerSean t1_jedu1ve wrote

I’ve only listened to the audiobook, and can’t imagine how the paper book describes a certain aspect of how a certain character communicates. It’s absolutely primed for audiobook.

Rebelpride1 t1_jedw9wk wrote

For real. I listened to the audiobook in 2 sittings (driving across the country) and couldn't imagine how the character talks in the book. I recently picked up a physical copy and flipped to one of his chapters and was kinda disappointed to be honest, but it was still about as expected

BorkForkMork t1_jee7q58 wrote

In order to cure your audiobook phobia I would like to recommend any Terry Pratchett audiobook read by Stephen Briggs. That guy is an absolute treasure.

qwerasdfzxcvasdfqwer t1_jefrz55 wrote

Unfortunately my biggest problem with audiobooks is my raging ADHD which trumps even the most well done audiobooks - second is I hate when men do women voices lol

definantmind t1_jee3igg wrote

Oh Project Hail Mary was sooooo good! I didn't think anything would top The Martian for a while but that did the trick. Thought about that book for days after I was finished.

marshall_chaka t1_jee6y34 wrote

Yes,this. Book is so much better. It has a great writing style too. Project Hail Mary is great!

truthpooper t1_jee97zo wrote

What this person said. I did that this year and am happy I did!

Melissa_Skims t1_jef3ios wrote

I listened to them both and they're now a favorite. Love the narrator!

Amatayo t1_jeea95q wrote

Absolutely hated the ending to project Hail Mary.

−2