Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

sisharil t1_jdiot0p wrote

And then what's the explanation of how humanity came to be in the first place?

Any worldbuilding that suggests white people were the originals and everyone else came later is both completely inaccurate to how humanity actually evolved, and uncomfortably in line with deeply racist thinking from the 19th century to explain the different human phenotypes.

If you want to us "oooh just evolution!!" as an explanation then actually follow it. Darker skin is the default setting for humans.

InvisibleSpaceVamp t1_jdiuw65 wrote

We are talking about FANTASY here, not earth's humanity. Is this so hard to understand?

I would like to see some scientific evidence for your claims though. Why is Africa the only place where the human race could have developed? Why couldn't this have happened in another place? And if we knew the perfect conditions for the human race to develop (spoiler - we don't), why is it not possible for these conditions to be found in a darker and colder part on our FANTASY planet?

sisharil t1_jdjy8yq wrote

You know it's kind of a little fucked up to treat "a world with only white people" as an acceptable fantasy and concept to promote as totally normal. Right?

Also. Humans are a type of great ape, and great apes evolved in Africa. There are no naturally occurring great apes in the low-sun temperate climates where pale skin developed in humans.

If your goal was to prove people complaining about diversity aren't racist assholes, you are really not helping get that across at all.

InvisibleSpaceVamp t1_jdjzdl3 wrote

You know it's kind of a little fucked up that you are not able to separate FANTASY and reality. Right?

−1

sisharil t1_jdjzqvm wrote

Dude. What part of "in this fantasy world black people just don't exist because that's my personal fantasy vision" is NOT fucking racist?

Don't get me wrong. I don't think there's anything wrong with a story set in a place where there happen to only be white people. In an isolated village or whatever that makes perfect sense. But there's a difference between "in this setting, these characters have no reason to come into contact with people from other ethnic backgrounds that aren't what we would see as white" and "actually only white people exist in this world because white is the default normal for humanity"

Character_Vapor t1_jdlia3t wrote

You selecting a default for a fantasy world still has its own implications about your point of view. You get that, right? It doesn’t matter that it’s not the real world, what you choose as the baseline for your own made-up world reflects something about its creator, whether you want it to or not.