Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Flgardenguy t1_je072er wrote

Reply to comment by Aurora1717 in Post book depression by bertiewoooster

The worst thing, though, is when you can’t find a good engaging story to fill that void.

volecoffee t1_je07z1g wrote

Instead of immediately searching for the next great thing (because you will always be disappointed), I've started reading short books that I already know that I like that don't require much thinking. I can look forward to it because I enjoy it, and it allows me to reset

Twiggimmapig t1_je0et0h wrote

My husband calls it the "rebound read" every time he catches me reading Memoirs of a Geisha or Jurassic Park. He's not wrong lol

nervousengrish t1_je0bqpm wrote

Yes! This is what I’ve been doing this year. I alternate between a short 70-150 page novella and a bigger book. It’s so refreshing.

Mkayin t1_je0kcwh wrote

I like to read a couple Philip K Dick short stories between books. Also comic books are a nice palate cleanser between meatier books

anachronic t1_je2hizy wrote

I do something similar where I'll always have a big history tome "in progress" so that I can flip over to that and read that for a couple days after I finish a good fiction book, to "cleanse the palate" before I start a new fiction book.

didntmeananything t1_je4n4nk wrote

I do a similar thing, always have a book of essays that I read slowly so I can wean off of a really good fiction book. If I just start another novel, I know I won’t like it as much because I’ll just be comparing them.

Rhet0r1cally t1_je2gnlw wrote

I've been rereading a fun, very long series I loved in elementary school with my old college buddies (like a book club but we're all just reading and discussing at our own pace) and it's a really fun way to fill the time in between truly stellar books

froufrou1 t1_je3or5v wrote

I love this! Which series?

Rhet0r1cally t1_je4cymw wrote

Warriors by Erin hunter, it's kind of infamous among people who were young in the 2000s LOL its about a society of cats living and fighting in the forest. So much drama and violence

hogw33d t1_je28ius wrote

I've seen this recommendation before and I find it so interesting because I know it wouldn't work for me personally. I am not a re-reader generally, and the thought of re-reading something (even something I know I liked) when in a mood like that makes me feel so bored and impatient.

volecoffee t1_je2hjtc wrote

One thing you can do is grab a light-hearted, easy series and just read the next book every time you need a pallet cleanser.

King_lords t1_je0tb8w wrote

And that is why I start reading with bad books, the void is already very small, but it gets bigger by time