Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

samwaswiseandgamgee t1_it6ujjx wrote

Absolutely agree about the vibe thing. Sometimes I need to warch something and I know a Ghibli film is the only thing that will do it for me.

When Marnie Was There is such a wonderful movie, and I own the book now, but am hesitant to read it for the same reason as above. Not because I'll be disappointed, I just know it won't feel the same.

Griffen_07 t1_it6uu3d wrote

That's fair. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to watch movies or TV shows about my favorite books because they are never good. You have to change too much to make a bunch of random people understand the story in an hour that took you weeks to read.

samwaswiseandgamgee t1_it6vbhj wrote

Absolutely agree. Typically now if I read a book that I love that has an adaptation, I won't watch it because it's just not the same experience and my biased brain won't appreciate the differences. Honestly, Howl's Moving Castle is the only exception that I can think of, but I had watched it and fallen in love with it several times before I read it. Maybe that's just my biased brain working inversely for that one.