Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SeattlePurikura t1_iu7wud9 wrote

I've enjoyed some of the author's other works, so I was disappointed in this one. Now the characters WERE supposed to be unlikeable, but they didn't have a single redeeming feature amongst them. That takes away from the horror element if I don't give a flip what happens to them; I actually was rooting for the monster.

I lived in Japan for a few years and have always been interested in the folklore & monster myths, so in theory I'm the target audience. DNR, saving grace was that it was a library book so I didn't pay for it.

VibrantViolet OP t1_iu9e39l wrote

That’s my thing, too, I was hoping they’d all end up dead, lol. They were so cringy and entitled. I would have at least like to have been sad about a character death, but nah. Also, the end was so rushed. I’m the mother of a son, and if that happened to my kid, I would have been on a warpath unlike the deceased character’s mom. She was basically like, “Oh well,” and moved on.

ProbablySPTucker t1_iu9yxhj wrote

>I lived in Japan for a few years and have always been interested in the folklore & monster myths, so in theory I'm the target audience. DNR, saving grace was that it was a library book so I didn't pay for it.

If it helps, there's tons of better stories out there about youkai and Japanese folklore. If you haven't read Lafcadio Hearn's Kwaidan, it's basically the book on that stuff and an incredible read.