Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

chortlingabacus t1_irtaz49 wrote

I don't know the book but it has from what you say the loud ring of a book about science/history/mathematics e.g. written by a journalist, mostly likely a Yank one: the long irrelevant globs of text about researchers' past, physical appearance, families, preferences ('His favourite T-shirt is a blue-violet one asking the question, in pink-typefaced binary code, "Can You Take A Selfie Next To A Black Hole?") etc. etc. If that's that sort of book this is, why not skim through the stupid stuff till you get to the good part, i.e. the actual work on the atomic bomb? and once you've reached it, you can skim through the stuff like 'Teller noticed with a glance that Oppenheimer was suppressing a yawn; he could not have known at the time that both of them were at that moment longing for a submarine sandwich' to get, you know, hopefully, actual information.

vincentx99 OP t1_irtprnz wrote

You nearly killed me with the Oppenheimer fanfic. I think I'll just keep on roughing it for a while. From the sounds of it, it will eventually pick up.

bhbhbhhh t1_irwpis2 wrote

It’s so funny that this is the dark mirror image of the comments on reddit that insist that chraacter and emotion are all that matter in books and everything else is irrelevant.