Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

robotapricot OP t1_iy08s1g wrote

wow i'm sorry i want to read despite being germaphobic, i haven't ever disinfected a book so don't you worry, i was just wondering if it was possible

zedatkinszed t1_iy0asfv wrote

Sorry I'm not sugar coating this. If you have an anxiety about germs don't borrow other people's old learher-bound books.

There are a lot of alternatives that don't involve damaging perishable materials (leather, animal glue, paper) with modern chemicals. Like ebooks.

How the hell would you feel if you lent some else an antique or family heirloom only for them to destroy it.

−2

robotapricot OP t1_iy0bddq wrote

you don't need to sugar coat it but you also don't need to come in guns blazing y'know? i never want to damage a book and i was literally only asking if it was possible. this is why i came here first instead of just trying to do it myself. i thought maybe people here could give me advice or tell me it's not possible, and they did and i appreciate that. what i don't appreciate is you assuming i'm likely trolling and also telling me to 'do the world a solid and stay away from old books'. literally all you needed to say was 'no you can't disinfect old books' and leave it at that.

zedatkinszed t1_iy0gcba wrote

C'mon. Srsly now. If you're a germaphobe you know how disinfectants work. You have seen them work. Leather, glue and paper do not mix with bleach based chemicals.

−2

robotapricot OP t1_iy0n2hj wrote

yes i'm fully aware which is why i asked if there was a safe way to do it (meaning a way to disinfect without the use of harsh chemicals)

i'm not aware of every type of disinfectant method in the world so maybe there was a way to do it safely, but turns out there isn't and i understand that now, i don't know what you're getting out of this but i'm done, thanks for your help