Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

franhawthorne OP t1_iwd59nl wrote

If you want to make a living through writing, you've chosen a great specialty. I spent most of my journalism career covering business and finance, and I think that's an area that will never cease being of interest to a wide range of readers -- from corporate leaders, to hedge fund and pension managers, to individuals who like to track the markets and make their own investment decisions. Your combination of an MA and published writing experience should really help. But as with most careers, you'll probably have to start small. Luckily, there are a slew of small newsletters, newspapers, magazines, blogs, etc that focus on different aspects of finance. (Yes, they pay, though not Manhattan-rent-level wages.)

As for your political question: I feel like I have to be an activist-optimist, even if that means having a lot of patience, suffering a lot of hits, and taking the long view sometimes. Otherwise, I'm ceding the battle to the optimists who disagree with me politically. Does that make sense?

I hope this helps. Thanks for reaching out.