Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

JeffCarr t1_iy7f959 wrote

The Murderbot Diaries. Great books, and the first one is short enough that you'll know if it's your thing pretty quickly.

LaserShark42 t1_iy7h3hs wrote

I was actually prepared to recommend this series. Excellent choice!

whitebeltinhaiku t1_iy7ew2d wrote

Try The Expanse. Great books that got made into a pretty good TV show too. Or if you want something a bit less serious you can try the Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton.

ShinoNnon t1_iy7gsfi wrote

Have you ever heard of Metro series? Its about People Who lives under the surface in moskow metro. Imagine a world which destroyed by nuklear weapons and few men still alive. There are 3 books and its so easy to read it. Great story line and catchy characters. ( i hope i didn't express myself badly. Still learning english).

redhandrail OP t1_iy7hey2 wrote

No, I hadn’t heard of it, it sounds great!

Your English is excellent, way to go!

imsolass t1_iy7ig9d wrote

There's Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (you might have seen a movie about a book of his, The Martian). I feel it toes the line between intense suspense and believable sci-fi really well. It's also worth reading The Martian as well if you haven't seen the movie

redhandrail OP t1_iyb6zrl wrote

I think I saw it but I’ve forgotten the whole thing. Thanks for the recs

Mrslyguy66 t1_iy7f9f8 wrote

The Player of Games - by Iain Banks / not too long, a solid reflection of modern society while being a great sci fi story about a competition in the hardest game ever created.

redhandrail OP t1_iy7g1q4 wrote

this sounds very good, exactly what I was looking for.

SukottoHyu t1_iy7gk5k wrote

Issac Assimov is brilliant. A good blend up humour and easy to read sci-fi

redhandrail OP t1_iy7hh1v wrote

That’s a name I’ve definitely heard a few times. I’ll for sure check something of his out. Thanks for the reminder

Misoru t1_iy7i5jz wrote

Neuromancer by William Gibson is fun. Thematically it's similar to a lot of other cyberpunk stories (identity and role of man/machine/in-between in a highly technological future) and not too dense. Also a cool setting with some neat locations (space habitat resort).

lyonaria t1_iy7fd5h wrote

I really loved The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein. Still one of my favourite books and it's actually aged quite well considering when it was written.

I also love Becky Chambers writing, The Long Way to a Small Angry planet and the rest of the series are favourites.

redhandrail OP t1_iy7g3bw wrote

The last title you mentioned sounds enticing! Thanks a lot.

lyonaria t1_iy7izmq wrote

It's really great!

The Moon is Harsh Mistress is the famous book that uses 'Tanstaafl': there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. And it's about the first sentient computer. Has Sherlock Holmes references, and war. It's pretty damn awesome.

Hommus_Dip t1_iy7k031 wrote

I read a book about super intelligent space spiders! Someone here will know the name of the book, it was awesome!

Edit: Found it! Adrian Tchaikovsky, Children of Time

Chemistryset8 t1_iy7klc2 wrote

Try the Locked Tomb series by NZ author Tamsyn Muir, it's a murder mystery featuring space necromancers

1AlphaGeek1 t1_iy7kord wrote

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

The story is about a physicist who is kidnapped and sent to a parallel universe in which another version of his life unfolds because of a different choice he made fifteen years previously. The book draws on the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. While it may not sound dark, it definitely is.

redhandrail OP t1_iyb7bru wrote

Nice, that’s the second vote for Dark Matter

Letters_to_Dionysus t1_iy7liub wrote

Do androids dream of electric sheep and ubik are my two favorite sci-fi books. Both were written by Phillip k dick. You'll get your money's worth with those two.

One_Worry_3904 t1_iy7lyk6 wrote

Did you see eternal sunshine of the spotless mind? If you suffer depression like me, you'll appreciate it. Appreciate the meaning behind it.. that it is truly an eternal sunshine for those with spotless mind. :-)

Try Dark Tales by Shirley Jackson if you wish for something dark and something as not as it seems.

I also liked The book of strange new things.

I'm looking for all the new books I'll be reading. If you find something truly great, let me know. I want to give it a try too in the future.

xx

NumerousPoint777 t1_iy7m213 wrote

Dean Koontz, the man’s a genius imo.. I’d say start with the Frankenstein series or the good guy, great easy reading

noumanpoke1 t1_iy7m289 wrote

Try Childhood's End. It's an alien invasion story with a big twist. Arthur C Clarke books are pretty beginner friendly too.

USAintheWay t1_iy84tah wrote

Douglas E. Richards writers some pretty fun stuff, and I THINK he self publishes, or at least started that way, so the book are generally cheaper.

DiscoMonkeyz t1_iy7fgt1 wrote

I, Robot.

It's not a mind-bender, but it's an interesting quick read that laid down some ideas about AI that you'll find replicated or built on in later sci-fi. It does touch on ideas of morality though.
It's also nothing like the Will Smith film.

redhandrail OP t1_iy7g5mb wrote

Yes, I love to watch shows about the societal and global implications of AI. Thanks a lot! And I wasn't a fan of the movie, so thanks for including that bit

DiscoMonkeyz t1_iy7h0xw wrote

Yeah the film sucks. This is nothing like it. It's a collection of short stories that build on one another and are somewhat related. It's a simple idea: we develop AI, but how do we control it? Are 3 basic laws enough to keep robots in line and morally good? Can you really establish a set of rules for what is "morally correct"?

LibrisTella t1_iy7giif wrote

Vonnegut stuff is fun and moves quickly. My favorite is The Sirens of Titan.

Also, I read Uglies in college and found it fascinating.

The Vault of Dreamers is super interesting and fast paced.

More recently I read Dark Matter and Paradox Hotel - really cool parallel worlds/time travel-y stuff.

Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is a fun quick comfort read.

If you want something more dark, I highly recommend The Fifth Season.

redhandrail OP t1_iy7hkmv wrote

Nice, these sound perfect. Definitely into the dark sci fi, I prefer it. Do you know any books about time travel that aren’t too tough?

LibrisTella t1_iy8s5hg wrote

I’m actually on the hunt for more time travel books myself lately, but I definitely recommend Paradox Hotel, and also Kindred which is darker. I couldn’t put that one down. And Vonnegut includes some time travel in most of his books.

xyla-phone t1_iy7ii28 wrote

If you're into it, the new Star Wars canon novels are very good!! There's some surrounding every movie, and around a lot of smaller characters. There's some geared towards YA readers that are really good, but have less subtext/complex plot. The audiobooks are also very well done.

Foundryside isn't technically a sci-fi, but like a steampun fantasy with a science-based "magic" system? It's a trilogy and very good so far.

campionmusic51 t1_iy7kmvg wrote

there are two collections of short stories by ted chiang. in one of them is the story that was turned into the film “arrival”. either are absolutely fantastic.

redhandrail OP t1_iyb78b3 wrote

I liked that movie very much. I’ll check em out, thanks

books-ModTeam t1_iy7wl41 wrote

Hi there. Per rule 3.3, please post book recommendation requests in /r/SuggestMeABook or in our Weekly Recommendation Thread. Thank you!