Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Grimweeper1 t1_ixajih8 wrote

I havenโ€™t gotten to reading 451โ€ฆ ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต. But just the other day I did more research into its plot line, characters and ideas, and now Iโ€™m very interested in it. I am already hooked on Bradbury and his writing style and I think I have my 10th grade English teacher to blame for that one, because one of the most memorable stories we read in class for me was โ€œ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜ฅ๐˜ต โ€œ from his Illustrated Man collection of short fiction (since we didnโ€™t read 451 I suppose). That story really stuck with me.

But it wasnโ€™t that story that caught my eye nowadays, itโ€™s actually โ€œ๐˜’๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ช๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ โ€œ that really resonated with me coming back to it. It actually made me get emotional first time around, even just some small exposition between characters in dire circumstance felt so intimate and personal, as if it were your own resentful thoughts desperately attempting their final battle cries. Bradbury definitely knows how to write something visceral and poetically lush at the same time. Turning something dramatic into something serene. And his descriptions, beautiful albeit terrifying; ๐˜๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ, ๐˜ง๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ด๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฆ. ๐˜๐˜ฐ๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฎ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ต ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜จ, ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ด ๐˜ฅ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฑ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ณ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ.

Concerning his more introspective and literary styles, including things like you mentioned repeating narratives to imply the character reasoning with themselves; I can see how people would dislike it. And I have seen it, in fact I saw that clip from The Simpsons where Martin lists off the โ€˜ABC of Sci-fiโ€™โ€ฆ โ€œWhat about Bradbury? - Iโ€™m ๐˜ข๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ of his work.โ€ Haha! I actually kinda understood him after dipping my toes in. Even though I personally love it, I see why others wouldnโ€™t. But I donโ€™t think they should downplay it at all because of thisโ€” in fact my favourite author is Peter Watts, whom is considered to be on the hard๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ side of sci-fi, but despite the crazily-extensive โ€˜scienceโ€™ in ๐˜‰๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜จ๐˜ฉ๐˜ต (Firefall) and ๐˜š๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ง๐˜ช๐˜ด๐˜ฉ (Rifters), they are still in essence a traumatic character study just doused in science-goodness and speculative economic collapse. And he uses some similar inward aspects of writing (like the repeating phrases, racing thoughts, etc.) to make it feel very close to the character. I mean cโ€™mon, you didnโ€™t just think ๐˜š๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ง๐˜ช๐˜ด๐˜ฉ was a literal titleโ€ฆ It still has immense literary value. And not only at an individual scale, but a global scale as well. The Rifters world is realistically scary. Wattsโ€™ ability to focus intimately on an individual so well while simultaneously building a believable and in-depth catastrophic world around that affects them is really fascinating.

And if this is what Iโ€™m looking to find in ๐˜๐˜ข๐˜ฉ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ช๐˜ต 451, then I am quite excited for my first step into his larger work! I also found it funny, considering the theme and even damn ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ of the novel (for those who know what the title actually means) got censorship problems after publishing. Nothing made me happier than reading Bradburyโ€™s response to that happeningโ€” ๐˜•๐˜–๐˜—๐˜Œ! As a writer as well, I hope it fills me with as much inspiration it did you. Bradbury along with Watts have been contenders to stand out to me with how they articulate their writing and concepts. Knowing what I know, I canโ€™t wait to dig into it. The world seems vivid and destructive, it showcases the cause and effects of one person alive in the chaos, with that underlying meaning peeking over the horizon not only in the characters experience, but the world itself.

๐˜๐˜ต ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ด ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜บ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฅ. ๐˜š๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฆ, ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ด ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ด๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฆ, ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ท๐˜ฐ๐˜ช๐˜ค๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜ฃ๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ช๐˜ต. ๐˜•๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ฃ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ, ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ญ๐˜บ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ฐ ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ฒ๐˜ถ๐˜ช๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜บ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฒ๐˜ถ๐˜ช๐˜ค๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ.

โ€œ๐˜ˆ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ณ๐˜บ, ๐˜๐˜ฐ๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ด?โ€

bookworm579 OP t1_ixamaxy wrote

This was really interesting to read, sounds like I still have a lot to discover in Bradbury's work, I'm excited!

I hope you enjoy 451, It is such a good book, I think you will like it based off of your comment.

I'm also just starting to watch through the Simpsons (I know, late to the game.) I'm looking forward to the reference.

Grimweeper1 t1_ixapd8l wrote

Iโ€™m sure I will. I hope you enjoy his other works just as much. The others in this thread arenโ€™t lying, his short stories really are a goldmine of though-provoking goodness! Eat it all up haha!