Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Matzie138 t1_iy8zvfy wrote

What about N.K. Jemison’s broken earth trilogy? It’s supposed to be amazing and I’m a huge fan of “The city we became”. They have such unique and amazing writing style/story.

BookLuvr7 t1_iy8x204 wrote

My first thoughts are the Assassin's Apprentice series or Wolf Hall. But it's hard to recommend anything without knowing what's already in her library.

Aylauria t1_iy8xu2u wrote

Yeah. You have to try to think of something that is good enough to recommend, but not so popular that she's most likely read it.

The one that comes to mind for me is maybe Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara?

BookLuvr7 t1_iy8xyse wrote

Idk that one, so it might be worth a shot lol.

gingernightowl t1_iy8xssa wrote

My go to suggestion would be the Scythe trilogy by Neal Shusterman, but I’ll suggest that to anyone who listens to me, 😅

If she likes historical fiction and YA, maybe Anatomy: A Love Story by Dana Schwartz.

Sticking with YA (because it’s what I know) — anything by Kara Thomas, since you said she likes thrillers. Riley Sager is good with thrillers, too.

rudebish t1_iy8xymi wrote

YA/fantasy: Ember in the Ashes series, Red Rising series, Scythe series, Cursebreaker series, Defy the night series.

Historical fiction: The Nightingale, The Book Thief

WannabeTeaSommelier OP t1_iy946em wrote

Red Rising looks good! It also looks popular, that’s what makes this so hard.

Tobimaru t1_iy8xzdk wrote

I'd say either The Locked Tomb series by Tamsyn Muir or The Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemison, or at least the first book from one of those.

kaksereciklira t1_iy8ydk0 wrote

Whatever you get, include a gift receipt, so she can swap it if it's something she's already got.

WannabeTeaSommelier OP t1_iy8z89f wrote

Thanks! I hadn‘t thought of doing that originally, but this was a great reminder!

AppropriateOil8600 t1_iy8ywze wrote

The silent patient, the kind worth killing, behind her eyes,rock paper scissors, local woman missing, in my dreams i hold a knife, lock every door , nine perfect strangers all are suspense thriller and crime ones i suggest take a look or out of the box go to horror ones

minimalist_coach t1_iy8z3ye wrote

A few books I've enjoyed this year that might work:

The Invisible Library- fantasy

Switchboard Soldiers- Historical Fiction, but more like a fictionalized biography

The Gaslight Mystery series by Victoria Thompson is historical fiction based in1890s NYC, a midwife from a rich family and an Irish detective solve crimes.

Good Luck. That sounds like a fun secret Santa group.

gaymeeke t1_iy90ib7 wrote

Dread Nation is a really good alternate history for a good mix of historical fiction/supernatural type stuff!

Kcollar59 t1_iy90nyv wrote

The House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas is the first in a series. I enjoyed it though it, like many fantasies is somewhat derivative.

chonkmcevoy t1_iy91cp2 wrote

I would suggest The Oversight Trilogy. It's a fantasy story set in Victorian London. I think the best way to describe it is that it's like 1,800's Xmen. Great story and it's the series which got me into reading