Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

GFVeggie t1_iy7dbs9 wrote

It would take me about as long to read a book as have it read to me, but I wouldn't get anything else done. I love audiobooks because I can listen while working around the house, cooking, baking, driving, knitting and just about anything except watch TV or listening to music.

I am a slower reading and words form in my mind so that is no different that if I was speaking them or listening to them.

You comment about comprehension was interesting. Over the last 2 or 3 years I've read a number of books that have 3 or 4 female characters in them. I've been reading a lot about women in WWII in Europe. Along with factual books I've been reading historical fiction. One was about women spotters at RAF bases.

I found that with the audio books it wasn't as easy to flip back and check to the section where the characters were introduced. I often listened to the book more than once because of that.

At my age memory retention helps with brain health. i read an article that suggested if comprehension is an issue to take notes. It helps the brain as it ages.

The article could have been nonsense, but it can't hurt.