Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Y_Brennan t1_iy3ssg7 wrote

The Lord of the rings and Dune are environmental.

SpecificAstronaut69 t1_iy3sz4p wrote

Jesus fucking christ. Peak /r/books right here.

yallscrazy t1_iy3vei2 wrote

Are you saying the book with a talking tree that laments deforestation as literal murder isn't environmental at all or am I misreading this situation?

Y_Brennan t1_iy3tb6m wrote

It's true mate. Dune especially so.

−1

SoothingDisarray t1_iy42cv5 wrote

I think Dune is more anti-colonialist literature than it is environmental. However, the anti-colonialist nature of the book suffers from the fact that it's a typical "white savior" style storyline--although I'm not actually sure of the race of the characters, but you hopefully know what I mean: person from outside the minority group comes in to lead minority group to freedom.

As for the environmental side, "environment" is a big part of it, but I wouldn't consider it an "environmental novel." Though, maybe? There are plot points about the future livability of the planet and how the spice farming empire has conflicting goals in that regard.

I guess my question is: are Dune and LotR alluding to environmental and colonialist themes (a) as a way of adding depth/color to the plot, or (b) as a way of commenting on our current society?

I think a lot of SFF uses allusions to deepen and richen the story being told, but without attempting to make specific commentary on those themes. (Which is fine! It makes books better for different reasons!)

Based on the books the OP listed, it feels like they are looking for books built around these topics as a commentary on modern society. (However, whatever, you can't go wrong reading Dune or LotR.)

Y_Brennan t1_iy43ruw wrote

I think the use of typical white saviour narrative is a great way of criticising colonialism. On the environmental front you are correct I should have said that Dune is ecological. LoTR is definitely environmental and critical of industrialization. But it is not anti colonial.

SoothingDisarray t1_iy46iqm wrote

True! Heart of Darkness, one of the great anti-colonial novels, definitely plays on the white savior myth as well. In fact, it's often misinterpreted as a pro-colonialist novel, or at least one that is non-critical of colonialism, because of this. Well, and also because of other reasons, but I think many interpretations that use a modern point of view lose sight of Conrad's intent.

Y_Brennan t1_iy4aj8q wrote

I understand the anti-colonial sentiments in Heart of darkness but I still hate it. Horrible book.

SoothingDisarray t1_iy4h4bt wrote

I will qualify that when I said "great anti-colonial novels" I didn't mean "great" as in "this is a book I love" but as in "great example of a important literary work." :) :) :)