Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ACcatlady t1_ixsgxdk wrote

Minority here—I finished this last week and thought it was garbage. It was one of those “I’m already so far, might as well finish it” books. It was well written, just not captivating.

MomRa t1_ixuqwsa wrote

Agree - found myself slogging through it, and just when it started to get interesting it was over? The ending just didn't fit either.

foxykittenn t1_ixshx6y wrote

I agree, it was slow and Eleanor was kinda insufferable to me. I was so upset with the ending as well. Lackluster all around 🤷🏻‍♀️

ACcatlady t1_ixsii1c wrote

100%. Not just insufferable but also deeply uninteresting. All of the characters were so one dimensional, I didn’t care about any of them

Tilikon t1_ixuw0dk wrote

What really frustrated me was the idea it showed Eleanor's descent into madness. The reader never spends enough time with her outside and before Hill House to develop a baseline for her sanity. In all of the scenes of her nominally before the House, we see her acting somewhat erratic and childishly. That made it difficult for me to follow and believe the house was affecting her. That's just my two scents.

Tayreads608 t1_ixuxrh9 wrote

I get that complaint totally. I think the broader point is that Eleanor’s striping of identity at the hands of her mother has left her vulnerable to the house. In much the same way that people from abusive households often find themselves in abusive relationships as adults. I would actually argue that Eleanor’s journey to Hill House resembles a walk down the aisle. Its not making her mad it’s preying on the madness that’s already there simply by making her feel wanted. “Journeys end in lovers meeting”

Soxia1 t1_ixspr5p wrote

Agreed! I was bored with it.

watermelonXsandwich t1_ixux271 wrote

Agreed, I was so bored the entire time. I kept reading, because I hoped it would get better. It didn’t.

StickyCold t1_iy116t6 wrote

I was so relieved to be done with this book. I was just annoyed in end when it wouldn’t finish. How many times does someone have to say “goodbye?”