Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MorriganJade t1_ixsd027 wrote

I've been wanting to read those! I wasn't sure about sons of Hurin and unfinished tales but should I read them? :)

rohtbert55 t1_ixse7j3 wrote

I mean, it's up to you. I love them. SOme find The SIlmarillion a tad...dense, but I enjoy them. The stories and universe.

MorriganJade t1_ixsgev6 wrote

I'm definitely reading the Simarillion! thanks :)

rohtbert55 t1_ixv5xhj wrote

Oh my God....you hardcore. Please let me know if you liked it.

MorriganJade t1_ixv6925 wrote

Yes, I've been wanting to read it forever! I read the hobbit and LOTR when I was 10 so I really have been wanting to reread them but I feel like it has to be a good time with stability in my life but honestly I should just do it XD

Raineythereader t1_ixx6s4o wrote

"The Children of Hurin" and "The Fall of Gondolin" are expanded versions of shorter stories within the Silmarillion. I would definitely recommend "Hurin," but "Gondolin" is a little disjointed because Tolkien wrote several versions of different length and style, and Christopher wasn't able to make them into a unified whole before he died.

Also, if you find the Silmarillion to be a slog (the early chapters definitely are), there's a read-along series on the Tor website that clarifies a lot of things. (Tons of spoilers in those articles, obviously.)

MorriganJade t1_ixycc4p wrote

Thank you, that's good to know! I will read Hurin too then :D Tor is so cool as a publishing house