Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lyonaria t1_ixyb1af wrote

I read them as a child, my grandparents new I loved to read so I got gifted both sets of novels. Laura is from the Big Woods if MN, and I was from MN, which was cool. I also moved out West with my family. The Anne of Green Gables books lost me as soon as Anne grew up, I didn't feel anything in common once she graduated from school so never read the other books until I was older. I didn't read all of LM Montgomery's books as she changed lead characters throughout the series.

Basically, they were very different. Anne was Canadian, she lived in a settled town within driving and short train rides to other towns/cities.

Laura was American and her family were settlers/homesteaders looking for a better life. I still don't get why they left their family and friends in the Big Woods... And Alonzo's story was fascinating! I loved his novel.

Bernie_katzroy OP t1_iy0mpbk wrote

Well its always great to meet from fellow Midwesterners. As a Kansan, both stories I enjoyed. Especially growing up coming from just slightly above the poverty line you have a feel for everything that happens