Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

throwawaymassagedad t1_ivzfr74 wrote

>“he shoved me down the stairs but sex is hot and he has a six pack!”

This is true. There is a majority of teen audience that finds all this assault hot. I mean, come on. The book is nowhere near dealing with abuse, instead, it deviates farther and farther from it. I get that it is hard to detect abuse, and it is hard to get out of it, but then this discredits CoHo's author's note where she claims to talk about an abuse cycle in this apparently life-changing story. I have mad respect for her for getting out of that situation, but as a part of her "target" audience, I was very underwhelmed with the book. The writing is just horrible, and I could go on and on about it.

However, the issue is also her content. What she claims to do in the author's note and what she actually does in the story are just so in dissonance with each other. I am truly flummoxed by the amount of sales this author is making, because all her books follow the same type of trope. Her characters ought to have some trauma in order to be interesting. Why? I get that mental health is important, but then I am sorry, but she has failed in providing representation to such traumas.

Again, I would like to apologise for my incessant, useless rant. It just angers me so much that our generation is going to be remembered with such people who have done nothing but contribute to the capitalisation of an important art form, that is literature. And again, as an English Major, having read some great works, it is frustrating to see rare writers of our times who manage to write something par excellence.

P. S. Mad respect for your major, i just am so bad at economics that I have so much respect for people who manage to study it haha.

Hi-isLiv OP t1_ivzgzos wrote

I think it’s valid, your rant I mean. I had clsssified that book as a fluffy harmless read that was predictable and non very deep but that resonated on some level. And I didn’t consider the biggest picture. So thank you.

Also I think there is difference between having a “fantasy about abuse” and mistaking romance with actual abuse and, from what you are telling me, the author and marketing team are making bucks on morally gray area. It’s a dangerous game for younger generations.

Have you read Neon Gods? It’s really bad. Like reaaaally bad, but was based on consent to the point you were reminded every ten seconds since I think it was marketed to a younger audience.

throwawaymassagedad t1_ivzpkqj wrote

I haven't read the book, but i am going to read it to see how bad it can get 😂

Hi-isLiv OP t1_ivzpp0w wrote

You’ll stop after “Tarnish me Hades” I guarantee it lol