Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutumnEclipsed t1_j1yo9l3 wrote

I’ve been enjoying the “Before the Coffee Gets Cold” series by Toshikazu Kawaguchi. It’s about a cafe in Japan that has a special seat that allows you to time travel. There are certain rules you must abide by such as only being able to meet with other people who have been to the cafe and you must complete your visit before the coffee gets cold.

It’s written in short stories of visiting patrons with continuity in the characters who work at the cafe. Rich character development, explores some deep questions time and life lessons, and is whimsical.

forgetme-nots OP t1_j1yorin wrote

I already read the book and forgot to put it. You are right, Before the Coffee gets cold is the perfect example of that kind of feeling I'm looking for. But still, thanks for the recommendation!

cluelesslilshit t1_j1ysi4z wrote

I think you might enjoy this. It's called Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things and it's my favourite piece of Japanese fiction. It's a collection of old Japanese short stories about the supernatural, featuring various myths and legends.

Jops817 t1_j1z3uqu wrote

Seconding this, I just picked it up recently.

MoscaMye t1_j1yu13k wrote

If Cats Disappeared From The World by Genki Kawamura.

The devil meets up with a man who is due to die and makes a deal with him - he can have an extra day of life if he just agrees to get rid of small, unnecessary things like chocolate, or clocks from the world. With each thing that is taken away the man reflects on how that thing, even if he thought it wasn't important actually played a major role in his life.

forgetme-nots OP t1_j1z7h0k wrote

I heard about that one! Thank you for your recommendation

satanspanties t1_j1ywexy wrote

Please post recommendation requests in /r/suggestmeabook or the weekly thread.

Choice_Mistake759 t1_j1yvl1u wrote

You are describing so exactly The Miracles of the Namiya General Store by Keigo Higashino, that you probably already read it and just forgot to mention it, right?

forgetme-nots OP t1_j1z7e8g wrote

Actually, no, I haven't read that one. I'll see if it's available in my local library. Thanks a lot!

Choice_Mistake759 t1_j1zthnp wrote

Do check it, I think it is precisely what you want and it is very charming, but not sacharine... And feels very japanese (unlike for example Murakami) on the storytelling, all the scenes, even the context is japanese recent history.