Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Mcpoopz1064 t1_j2cdbzf wrote

Hey everyone, I recently got a job with a ton of downtime and a lot of people read and I think it's a great opportunity for me to try reading again. It's something I've wanted to try and get into, but I never get around to it when I am home. I haven't read a lot of books, so a lot of the classic genre defining stories I haven't read, like lord of the rings for example. What should be on the top of my list for thrillers, fantasy, and horror books? I feel like those would be the genres I would most enjoy. Just a side question for those that have read the Witcher series. I am a huge fan of the lore after playing the games, and it's actually the main reason I want to pick up reading again. Are the books good? And should I prioritize other series before the Witcher?

Thanks everyone!

rohtbert55 t1_j2fmvot wrote

Maybe you can start small if you haven't read that much. A professor used to tell us that; that you don't run a marthon on the first go, you start training little by little. Same with literature, if you grab the Quxiote as your first book you'll feel bored, defeated and won't really want to read anymore. But maybe you can start with "easier" stuff.

If you can tell us a tad about your interests so we can better pinpoint to a book you'll really be intersted in, that'd be great.

Some books I feel that you'll love coud be:

• The Strain: I feel this is a really good option since it's an easy read, really interesting and falls under a lot of the genres you're interested in. Just dive in without reading anything about it.
  • The Shadow of the Wind: One of my favourite reads.
  • PenPals: Scared the blyat out of me.
  • Tales From the Gridsquare: Same as the above.
  • A Wizard of Earthsea
  • The Caves of Steel
  • A Song of Ice and Fire
  • Wheel of Time
  • The Hobbit: If you want to get into Tolkien, start with this. It's pretty easy and fun.

I'll try thinking of more.