Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

7ootles t1_j2ajbkv wrote

>I used to buy my books exclusively on Kindle. I loved the format, but I hate giving my money to Amazon. Then I started buying paperbacks from Barnes and Noble (there are no indie stores within 100mi of where I live), but I wondered if I should be buying hardcovers to get more royalties to the authors. I also frequent the library, but I have no idea what they make off of borrowing a book from there, whether it be physical or digital.

I publish my work on Kindle and my royalty is 70%. I also publish in paperback, again through Amazon, and my royalty there is 60%. When I start doing some of my work in hardback, that will also be at a 60% royalty.

The only way in which my royalties are higher with a physical copy is just that the price is higher. If I charge £3.99 for an ebook, I get £2.80 in royalties - if I charge £14.99 for the same book in hardback, I get £8.99 in royalties. But if I charged the same price for both, I'd be making a lot more off the Kindle version.

-1_2_3 t1_j2dp23x wrote

Could you comment if UK’s xigxag would treat you equally as well?

7ootles t1_j2dq04f wrote

I've never heard of it before tbh. It looks like an audiobook platform, rather than a self-publishing platform, so I'd have to contact them to find out.

-1_2_3 t1_j2drvpa wrote

Thank you. Yes, they also have synchronized e & audio in their x-book format. I was hoping you had experience with them, but I think they are relatively new.

7ootles t1_j2dv5g2 wrote

I think they are new, and I can't find any info on how to publish through them.

-1_2_3 t1_j2dzjqv wrote

On their site under ‘helpful info’ they claim authors & publishers will be pleasantly surprised by contacting them via email.

Edit: helpful info>get in touch>I am an author…content at xigxag dot co dot uk