Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Samael13 t1_j241s92 wrote

I don't understand why people slag off on what other people like, especially on reddit. Saying insulting other people's tastes is so petty; saying that books other people like are generic or so boring that they could instantly put an insomniac to sleep says more about you than about the books. I just assume that people who have to come on reddit to attack other people's tastes as bad or generic are sad people whose only joy is making other people feel bad, but, then, if you're more passionate about hating other people's taste in books rather than hyping up what you really like, it speaks a lot to your own tastes.

NunsNunchuck t1_j243u8m wrote

THANK YOU! How many times do we need posts about hating authors and books? Books are like food, I might not like the taste of something but it doesn’t mean it should be banned from existence. (This is referring to taste only NOT ethics like Foie Gras or meat)

Samael13 t1_j248v47 wrote

Exactly.

And, to carry out that metaphor: I love a fine whisky and handmade pasta made with super fresh ingredients, but that doesn't mean I don't also love a pitcher of cheap beer and bar pizza, and I don't think one is inherently of more value than the other. Sometimes we *need* the comfort of cheap beer and bar pizza in our lives.