Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

LorenzoApophis t1_j1j3jze wrote

Pretty incredible to see everyone here, in a subreddit about books, trying to persuade OP that reading has rotted their brain or something rather than addressing any of the concerns they've raised. The vehemence of this response really demonstrates how profound these issues are - in a place where people are supposed to discuss things they've learned from literature, the most important issues imaginable, like the possible end of society or human life, are still forbidden to acknowledge.

RobleViejo OP t1_j1j4d25 wrote

While I agree there is a mainstream sentiment of "If I cover my eyes it doesn't exist" towards Holocene ELE and the Eco-Climatological Collapse, which subsequently contributes to a sort of despise for "doomers" and thus the prolongation of our global apathy to Earth, I dont think these people are telling me "Cixin Liu rotted your brain".

In any case, I think they are warning me of the dangers of information, which let me tell you are very much real.

Thank you for having my back though. You are a bro.

LorenzoApophis t1_j1j5em0 wrote

I'm talking about people saying stuff like "I'm not sure who got you convinced of this crap but get it out of your head." Obviously, the books you read did, and of course not every book is going to be right, but if you want to argue against one, you need something much more persuasive than the current top comment's "It's just a phase."

Aliteralhedgehog t1_j1k34qz wrote

No, it's not the danger of information or whatever.

The danger is that you're obviously suffering from depression or a similar illness and instead of medication or therapy you're wallowing in despair pretending you can't get better because "the Holocene" or "materialism" but that's a bunch of bullshit.

I've seen drug addicts make similar indictments against society to justify their addiction. The only difference is that your addiction is self pity.