Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Kinbote808 t1_j2e92bq wrote

The main point of the book is not the hidden meanings of it, whether intended or unintended, and the most sure fire way to ruin a good book is to view it through the lens of other people’s bullshit.

Passname357 t1_j2etbny wrote

I like seeing other people’s analyses after reading but not during. Sometimes things stick out to me that I think are fun, but I think it’s stupid to let it be the sole focus while reading. David Foster Wallace talked about when writers talk about their work later on a lot of it is Monday morning quarter backing; the author is trying to have good answers (and they tend to be valid) but usually the process of writing is just more “does this feel real or right” than anything. I think literary analysis should be the same way. Read it and analyze later. Leaf by leaf on YouTube says that when you’re reading and analyzing at the same time it’s like being a bad partner in a conversation. Talk when it’s your turn to talk sure, but listen when it’s your turn to listen. Reading is the listening end. Don’t talk over the author.