Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Mrereren t1_j62uvac wrote

Yes, that's the problem. Her books are not romance but are about toxic relationships. Yet her fans think it's romance and don't consider there to be anything wrong with how the male characters treat the female main character. It's baffling and I feel bad for them.

ennebt t1_j62v6qp wrote

Maybe I misinterpreted, but I thought OP acknowledged that and was asking specifically why her books get more hate than other books that do similar things and don't get called out. Ik her books have a lot of bad tropes that don't get called out in the text; the one I was talking about had it explicit within the text the "love interest" was supposed to be abusive, hence the mis-marketing, and why i thought they might get more hate. Sorry if I worded that wrong.

Mrereren t1_j62vhjj wrote

It's because her books are the most popular romance books and get recommended to young people the most. I still remember that one girl who caught her 11 year old sister reading Ugly Love and had to sit her down and explain just how toxic and dangerous the books are.

ennebt t1_j62w007 wrote

Ah, I get that. It was just my theory as to why ppl hate her specifically. I think a lot of ppl who talk about bad tropes in books (romance especially) need to be more consistent with their call-outs, tho. And I dont think that anyone who enjoys them is necessarily in the wrong or doesn't understand, even teens. As long as it's acknowledged (like in ur example) ppl should be allowed to like what they like.