Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

iamwhoiwasnow t1_j64wn0p wrote

I keep seeing "she's not a good writer" but also see the argument "read what you like" and "read to escape or for entertainment". People could be right she might be the worst writer there is but here's the thing, for me the one book I did read by her, Verity is entertaining as hell and I tore through the book fast than other well written books by authors that are considered great even if just in their genre. So which is it? She is a bad writer so you shouldn't like her? She's on tik tok a lot so for that you shouldn't like her? She's getting more people to read so you shouldn't like her? That last one is laughable.

So what if she's not a great writer. Some literary classics are damn near impossible to read or understand for some of us that are frankly just reading for fun. This genuinely just feels like gatekeeping and it makes it harder to have conversations with people about books specially online. I recently made a post about Very by Colleen Hoover that I thought would engage people in conversation and thankfully it did but it immediately got down voted and had a few comments that had nothing to do with the book but with the author. It's sad.