Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

vivahermione t1_j5vq2zi wrote

I think it's sad that these young men (well, maybe Kanye's no longer young) are missing out on the creativity, inspiration, exploration, and diverse perspectives that come from reading. Kanye says he'd rather have a conversation with a person, but books can be a conversation with people we can no longer reach due to death, imprisonment, or a reclusive lifestyle. If you agree or disagree with the author, you're in dialogue with their work. Kanye might also say these perspectives aren't worth considering, but we can learn a great deal from the past or from those who are walking a different path.

Finally, I wonder how strictly the three men adhered to the book-free lifestyle. Are newspapers and magazines out because they contain multiple articles? What about short stories? They talk about books and reading as a punishment, which I simply can't relate to. Did high school English turn them off? Did they read books about their professions and get bored, or have they tried fiction? So many questions.

thewirefan123123 t1_j5vzhfa wrote

And it's sad with Kanye cause his mother headed the MFA program at a college in Chicago and had a PhD in black literature

vivahermione t1_j5zng39 wrote

That is sad. Ironically, Kanye recorded a guided meditation for Audible. But I guess it doesn't count as a book because it's spoken word and short?

Edit: Nevermind, it was Puff Daddy, not Kanye. I'm old and can't keep my celebs straight, but I'm working on that.

ep1c_gamer69 t1_j5xq577 wrote

If my mother were to judge books based on the author's skin color, I might hate reading too.

−19