Submitted by ccRumandChickenWings t3_100qa5d in books

So, 2022 has ended and I have read only 5 books this year, making the total number of books i have read in my life 80 (i am 24). This shouldn't be disappointing since I am very busy with uni and work, if only I hadn't read more that 2500 fan fictions since 2015 (excluding twitter threads aus).

Do you know any way to start reading less fan fictions and more books?

It is kind of embarrassing to say that one of my hobbies is reading when I can't talk about 95% of what I read. I thought about reading real books with the same tropes that I like in fanfictions, but wouldn't that be kind of the same? (Also, I am not sure of how many enemies to loves omegaverse aus exist lmao)

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Bowtiewearerr t1_j2j4ys4 wrote

Go to a book store, buy a book that seems interesting to you and start reading it. You don't have to read less fanfiction if that's what you like to read...you can just read both

yentity t1_j2j90hh wrote

Better yet go to the library and get a library card. Can use the Libby app to read electronically too. The librarians might have some suggestions for you too.

sept_douleurs t1_j2j9ada wrote

Seconding this. The library is your friend, always, but especially if you’re not totally certain what you’re looking for in a book and don’t want to waste money on something you don’t end up enjoying.

smolly_ho1y t1_j2j65mm wrote

Maybe you should try to sort of experiment with genres to find the one you enjoy? If you like enemies to lovers trope, you might like "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. It's not omegaverse, but it's classical example of enemies to lovers. This book is considered to be classic literature, and i promise, it's not the same as fanfiction. Could you specify what tropes (except for the one you mentioned) and maybe genres you would enjoy reading (even fanfiction)? I could give some advice what book would be similar to that

ccRumandChickenWings OP t1_j2j949l wrote

I actually started "pride and prejudice" because I heard that I was the classic enemies to lovers and I have been enjoying it. I actually tend to go for classics when I buy books, but I am not sure if it is a good choice (because they are usually good) or not (I need to be more focused when I read them).

Until now my all time favorite book has been "the picture of dorian Gray" so I have then read almost everything by Oscar Wilde and loved all of it. I also liked The process by Franz Kafka and Damian by Hesse. I have tried to look for authors similar to Oscar Wilde but until now I haven't had any luck ahaha

MaichenM t1_j2jgmqj wrote

You might be psyching yourself up too much with the need to read “high quality” published fiction, and gravitating toward fanfiction as a result.

Look: I read a lot of litfic. I am literally an English teacher. And litfic is not always fun to read. There are published novels that offer all the raw pleasures of fanfiction, but have the polish that fanfiction doesn’t have. This is very common in the fantasy, romance, and thriller genres. I read a huge mix of “smart” and “fun” books, and I won’t tell you that the smart books have never been enjoyable, but they have also almost always been work.

smolly_ho1y t1_j2jaeyr wrote

If you enjoyed the picture of Dorian Gray, maybe you'll like The skin of Shagreen by Honore de Balzac. It has similar plot. Basically, about a man who found the way to fulfill his desires but has to pay his price for it. I also can recommend Steppen Wolf by Herman Hesse. It's a story about a man in the state of constant inner conflict (he basically divides his personality into "wolf" and "human", balancing on the line between them). The book tells his story of finding himself. It was surreal and fascinating book with a lots of food for thought

ccRumandChickenWings OP t1_j2jd8va wrote

Thank you so much for the suggestions!! They really seem right up my alley!

EmpRupus t1_j2lh5ti wrote

The classics are not always boring or less representational.

I read Carmilla, a lesbian vampire story (which is older than Dracula) and it was short novella with a pretty quick read. A lot of gothic books are like this.

I also like the mystery genre, and loved reading The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. This is considered a proto-mystery book older than sherlock holmes, and has very good rep of women and anti-colonial narrative, and also having an easy accessible prose style.

Song of Achiles is a modern take on the classical Greek story, and this one has lgbt+ protagonists. I have other criticisms of the book, but if you like intense romantic slow-burn fanfiction, you can go for this and also, in the process, learn about the classical greek story.

karmacrossing t1_j2lflbq wrote

I also enjoy Herman Hesse- Knulp is one of my favorite short reads :)

I assume since you love Wilde that you’ve probably read The Importance of being Earnest? It’s a play, but the content is very easy to engage with as a story.

In a similar vein to Wilde’s humor and commentary toward social aristocracy: I’d also recommend Emma by Jane Austen and Candide by Voltaire.

[deleted] t1_j2j4dl3 wrote

[deleted]

ccRumandChickenWings OP t1_j2j4qh8 wrote

Wish it was that simple. I want to read more books, I just can't. I like reading fanfictions but they don't give me anything in terms of personal growth. Not like books do

−15

vohveliii t1_j2j9ts5 wrote

Reading is done for fun, and you clearly enjoy reading fanfic. ”Personal growth” from books is not a thing in my view. You feel like you gain growth, but there is not actually anything happening if you read some self help.

ccRumandChickenWings OP t1_j2jbe4x wrote

I have never read self help books so I can't say if they work or not. What I meant is that when I read fanfictions I read them because It's fun, but since it's for entertainment I look for things that don't take much effort of for the tags that for sure I know I like. I am not stepping out of my comfort zone.

For books, since there are no tags you don't know for sure what you will encounter. It happens that you read some opinions that you have thought but never put into words or something that you never considered as a prospective. I usually discuss the topic of every book that I read with my family or friends and that is what I meant by "growth". I think that the discussions and the reflections you have after you read the book that enriches you

ObscureMemes69420 t1_j2j81wk wrote

Someone once told me "in order to start reading, you first have to make time to read".

Literally just stop reading trash fan fics and make time in your day for actually reading.

−4

ccRumandChickenWings OP t1_j2j9fyo wrote

Ok but to be fair there are good fanfictions out there. I have actually cried to some of them

Edit: bru I have been down voted for saying there are good fan fictions ahah you guys are missing out, if you want I can give you some good recommendations 😉

CallynDS t1_j2jigmm wrote

Then what's the problem? If you enjoy the fan fiction keep reading what you like.

inkedbooklady t1_j2j9jjq wrote

All reading is valid, and fan fiction is not inherently worse than any other of kind of reading. Just like any other genre, there’s good and bad writing to be found.

That said, you can definitely find books that have similar themes to fan fic. For example, if you like slash, there are plenty of m/m romances to found. That’s true for most other themes as well. Ebooks that you can read on your tablet or phone might also help you vary your reading. If you have a library card, see if your library offers Libby. You can also look on Amazon for smaller press or self published works that might fit your interests. There are plenty of strategies that can help you switch up your reading habits, but, I repeat, reading fan fiction is still reading.

Edited to add…

Fan fiction is often a kind of comfort reading. Because the characters and settings are familiar (even in an au or crossover), there’s not the work of understanding a new world or figuring things out that you get with a new novel. It’s comforting and easy for some people to revisit characters that they know they like. If that’s true for you, trying to find books similar to your favorite fan fictions might be a good approach.

sunflower_eliza t1_j2jb4w4 wrote

Do you like reading fanfiction because of familiar characters/settings? If so, you may like a book series to get that familiarity

minimalist_coach t1_j2j6mez wrote

When I'm trying to change behaviors I set very specific goals.

If you want to read more, but reading fan fiction is your obstacle, here are a few approaches to consider:

Put a time limit on your reading of fan fiction, or a limit on how many outlets you browse. Turn off notifications and email alerts/newsletters.

Another approach is to reward yourself with fan fiction for reading books.

Read books on the same device you would normally read fan fiction, you can borrow ebooks from the library or purchase them online, so you can read on your phone, tablet, or computer.

Set a goal of how many books you want to read per year, then break it down by month, then by week. Set time aside to read. I find it easier to pair a habit with another activity. Maybe read on your lunch break, or read before bed. Consistency will increase your chances of success.

Celebrate or reward yourself for reaching your goal, any goal, it can be a weekly goal or each book you read.

Many people find having accountability increases the chances of them reaching a goal, so make your goal public, or share with a friend, then check in often with your progress.

trishyco t1_j2j7gka wrote

Maybe come up with a ratio that makes sense to you. Like 1 regular book per 5 fan fiction or something. At the end of the day you’ll move on when you are ready and tired of them. I read a very specific genre up until my 30’s and then one day I was just over it. I was ready for new authors, new stories, new locales…

riordan2013 t1_j2j73t0 wrote

All reading is reading. Fanfiction counts (and I too have read fanfictions that put published books to shame). Reading tastes shift over time and your reading life will almost certainly evolve and look different. And reading what brings you actual joy is the point. If reading fanfiction is enjoyable for you, don't stop.

If you still want to try to read traditional books more, I'd suggest the following:

1. A time goal per day. As little as 10 minutes in bed with a physical book before you pick up your phone might be enough to hook you. I find time goals easiest to stick to because then I'm not skimming absently through pages to reach a page count goal so I can turn to the thing I'm more excited about.

2. Experiment with alternate formats - audiobooks, physical library copies, Libby/Kindle/etc. Change it up if it's not working. Some books have been great for me on audio and boring AF in print or vice versa.

Lizk4 t1_j2j9wli wrote

This. I have also read many fanfics whose quality is as good or better than many traditional stories I've read. Quality is quality in whatever format, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. That being said, there's nothing wrong with trying to branch out, either. Do whatever feels best to you and gives you enjoyment.

hannah_nj t1_j2j8euh wrote

It’ll be daunting at first, but I think finding a series you enjoy would be useful! Fanfiction is easy to fall back to because the world and characters are familiar to you, so once you get a book or two into a series, it’ll have a similar effect.

Nizamark t1_j2j9vn7 wrote

i would simply read more books and less fanfiction

Oatkeeperz t1_j2j97t8 wrote

You have to ease yourself into it again (well, you don't /have to/, but it takes some action from your side ;)). Fanfic has the advantage that you know the characters and the world building, so it takes less effort to get invested in those stories, than when reading ~original~ ones. Plus, there's many one-shots, or clear chapter divisions that are posted with intervals, so you it's not as daunting to read as say, an 800-page novel (though adding up those 80k+ fic, you do end up there eventually).

I recently started reading more books again, as opposed to mostly fanfic, which I managed through first starting with re-reading old favourites, and then sticking to a certain topic, and branching out from there. That said, you do have to be in the right head space for it. I've had some quite stressful years, and in that period, I simply couldn't concentrate on books which required me to get to know new characters, so I stuck with what was familiar, and that was in this case fanfic.

Try to find some books you think might be fun (not everything has to be high literature, and you don't have to like what the majority does), and don't hesitate to not finish those if you don't like them for whatever reason, or just put them aside for a while and start something else. You could set goals for yourself like reading 1 book chapter for every fanfic chapter you read, or something like that, to maybe have some incentive to start getting into reading books again.

takethatwizardglick t1_j2jb6wb wrote

Do you want someone to give you a rule or something? Okay. For every five fanfics you read, you have to read a book before you can read more.

Is that what you were looking for?

sept_douleurs t1_j2je0vo wrote

People have already given some good suggestions but another one I would add is you might want to consider joining or starting a book club! Knowing you’re going to discuss a book with other people can hold you accountable for reading it, and it can be a good way to branch out and read stuff you might not normally have picked on your own.

ccRumandChickenWings OP t1_j2jfqxj wrote

I think this is a great idea!! I always talk to my friends and family about the books i read but usually they have not read the same books as me so it's more or a monologue than a discussion ahah Confronting my opinions to the ones of other people would really motivate me.

Do you know where i can find online book clubs? Is there an app or something? Actually i live in Milan so there are probably book clubs in real life, i should look for them.

Thank you for the suggestion!

sept_douleurs t1_j2jgu1j wrote

I don’t know of any apps off the top of my head, but I’d be shocked if something like that didn’t exist. The local libraries may also have book clubs if they do any kind of programming—a lot of US libraries do though I don’t know about other places in the world. I work at a library in Missouri and we have book clubs, and I also joined a Zoom book club hosted my friend who is a librarian in New York.

Mister_Sosotris t1_j2j9hmb wrote

Check out the #booktok tag on TikTok. There’s also a reading app called StoryGraph that lets you track you reading, and it gives really great recommendations based on what you like.

Mister_Sosotris t1_j2j9ocp wrote

Also, Libby is the greatest app ever. You can check out ebooks and audiobooks for free from your library. That way you can check out all kinds of new stuff with no pressure or commitment. Figure out what kinds of stuff you like!

bofh000 t1_j2jay1w wrote

The answer is in the question. Just remove the “how”.

Big_Subject_1746 t1_j2kaiix wrote

How the F do you know you read 80 books in your life at 24? Where did this new obsession with counting books come from?

Just read what you like. Find authors you like and read there stuff. Sure enough, that author will lead you to other authors of similar taste.

Don't buy books. Get a library card. Libby and other apps are great for audiobooks as well as digital books. I only buy from authors I like.

At no point in my life have I ever known how many books I've read

louvreletters t1_j2j6myv wrote

try out the YA or romance sections at the book store. half of what’s being published today is glorified fan fiction anyway lol

demon_luvr t1_j2j9ani wrote

read books in the same format that you read fics in. like on an ipad, phone, etc whatever. try romance.

Escapist_anthopleura t1_j2jannk wrote

There is nothing wrong with reading fanfic, especially when you’re in uni you’ll usually prefer to read something mindless that doesn’t take much effort. But if you want to read more books, try to make the habit of bringing a book everywhere you go so you can read in small pockets of time you have throughout the day, like in the bus, during lunch, in study breaks etc

mamastrawb t1_j2jbjnq wrote

I had a similar problem! It's not unusual or stupid, contrary to what others are saying, and I'm sorry people are being rude and condescending. Fanfiction is easier to read because the barrier for entry is so low: you already know and love the characters and understand the world building. In a book, you have to spend the first few chapters just learning all those things.

From what you've said, you might try a kindle unlimited subscription for a few months - there's SO MUCH of that sort of trope-ey, fanfic-esque a/b/o and whatever else you like on there. I have read so many novellas about lesbian dragons, it's absurd.

I would avoid looking up recommendations based on your favorite fandoms (ex. books for people who love marvel movies!) because I find it's too easy to compare them and find the books lacking.

Lastly, don't worry about it too much. Reading is reading.

drop-in-the-dessert t1_j2jecgq wrote

I would first ask why it is so important that you read books instead of fanfiction. There is nothing wrong with liking (fan)fiction and you can actually learn a lot from fictional stories. Characters in books make mistakes, observations and have perspectives that you can learn from.

If the only reason that you want to read books is because they feel more legitimate (as your comments seem to say), that may be the problem. You won’t enjoy it as much if you have to do it, it is only a performative action for you. It is also a mistake the assume that reading books = self-growth, you have to be in the right mindset to take in the message, what you won’t have if you force yourself to read them.

Perhaps instead of setting a goal where you have to read a certain amount of books so that you feel accomplished, set yourself the goal of finding a book-genre / writer that you enjoy, en then find the motivation to switch form online to offline.

ccRumandChickenWings OP t1_j2jiufk wrote

I love fanfictions and i honestly think that some of them could easily have been books. It's not that I think that books are superior in any way but when i read fanfictions i am looking for what I know I will like so I always read the same type of things. It has happened that I read 10 different stories with the same premise just because I liked it. It's almost like comfort food.

When you read a physical book, given the lack of specific tags, it's always a surprise. I just want to expand my horizons.

I also want to be able to talk about what I read to people in real life. I could talk about fan fictions online but it's not the same (also I like to talk a lot ahah)

I think you are on point with finding a genre or an author that I enjoy. When I first read something by Oscar Wilde I read in a short span of time almost all his works. Since then I didn't get lucky in finding something similar so it's been a bummer.

Also no worries in me forcing myself to read ahah if that were possible I wouldn't have books unread that I bought 8 years ago

UncutEmeralds t1_j2jouus wrote

Spend more time reading books… the answer to every question on r/books

rdwrer4585 t1_j2k71gw wrote

Don’t read any fan fiction for a month and see if your reading habits shift fully to books. Then decide the right balance for you moving forward, and gradually re-introduce fan fiction back into your reading schedule. I do this whenever I want to mix up my genres, and it works every time

ChameleonMami t1_j2jcw5a wrote

Go to a second hand bookstore. I do this. Just browse around. You can donate back the books when you’re done. If you don’t like a book, you are out a dollar.

boxer_dogs_dance t1_j2jegza wrote

Estate sales and thrift stores can be good sources for cheap books and the selection is random so you get a variety.

Or you could try a challenge like read a book from every country or read a book from every decade after a set starting year.

You could join an online book group or a group that meets physically. There is a group on reddit starting the Master and Marguerita and some other reddit book groups.

HauntedReader t1_j2jg6eg wrote

Read what you want to read.

Most of the tropes you find in fanfic exist a lot in the romance genre and it's becoming more common for AUs to get published with name changes.

Let go of the stigma attached to fanfic and read what you like.

Massive_Badger265 t1_j2jtpgx wrote

FanFiction is most definitely comfort food and I’ve found myself slipping back into the same habit as you. I know the characters, I know what I like, it’s easy, quick and free to access and I know I can mentally see and hear them with little effort. I use Goodreads and have roped my sister and brother in law to do the same as motivation and I’ve joined in the reading challenge again this year.

What do you like? Are there particular shows, universes or movies you’re reading fics of? Maybe we could suggest some similar authors for you to take the daunting feeling out of finding a new book to enjoy. For example, I love Rizzoli & Isles. I absolutely LOVE it when I find a multi chapter fic for that universe that’s well written and well plotted. From that, I learned that I would probably very much enjoy Patricia Cornwell’s Scarpetta series and have almost read all of them.

Sad_Sun_4218 t1_j2jys7n wrote

I also used to read a lot of fanfiction and I still do sometimes. Fanfictions sometimes helped me finding new books. Maybe try to read one about characters of a book or a fanfiction with characters that like reading. That might motivate you into reading new books. And if you think you read too much fanfiction maybe consider imposing some sort of limit. Like two books a fanfiction or use fanfictions as a small reward for a new achievement.

thistlel t1_j2k9d55 wrote

I switch between both pretty regularly. I read books when I am ready to start a new emotional attachment or I am in-between fandoms. I read fanfiction when I am too tired to think very hard. I liken it to watching starting a new movie or series versus watching The Office or Friends.

And you'd be surprised by what you can find self published in Kindle.

Impossible-Sort-1287 t1_j2kcy6j wrote

Get a library ap and check out a book a month. That way you arent buying a book you might not want .

Though if it seems to much then try reading things like webtoon. You get at times the feel of a good fanfiction but original stories.

I read everything I can so your problem is a bit odd for me but dont put down your fanfiction because some fanfiction writers are truly talented

GFVeggie t1_j2kd2e5 wrote

I used to read a lot of fanfiction, even wrote some.

Kindle has an app that allows you to upload documents onto the eReader. Last time I used it it was free. I could read my fanfiction right out in public without having people think the old lady had finally gone around the bend. I have always been embarrassed that I read it.

This doesn't really answer your question, but you are reading and that is what is important. There are some good FF authors out there. Andy Weir started out that way with The Martian.

The Martian was on his site and people wrote and asked him to do a self published book and put it on Amazon because it was easier to read that way or so the story goes. I know I originally got The Martian for $.99, just before it took off.

You are the one who decides what you read and that is the way you choose the material.

evelyn6073 t1_j2kvd6v wrote

I read tons of fanfic and also read 30 books this year. It’s doable! Honestly I read very different fan fic VS books…I like to read romantic fanfic with the typical tropes (there was only one bed!) but I can’t read romance books because they make me cringe. No idea why. Just wanted to throw out there that you can discover new genres you like through books. Just gotta try though. Read some thriller, beach read romances, literary fiction, memoirs, and see what sticks. Use libby!

Also this might not help because I don’t know the English market for this well…but in Korean there are many ‘web fiction’ works that are published through certain apps and definitely have omegaverse etc. I count them as real books. Maybe there could be translated versions? I’m reading a serialized web novel right now that is about a guy who turns into a cat and then needs to play a survival game of getting an owner…and the potential owner is a celebrity he loves. Chaos ensues.

Reading is reading, but I also agree I get something different out of reading ‘real books’ even though I enjoy both! I also made myself just sub on ao3 to the authors I like and only read their completed work rather than constantly being on the hunt for new fanfic haha. It’s helped me be more equal in my reading.

pureteddybear2008 t1_j2l7jqp wrote

Well, despite what media would have you think, there's nothing wrong with reading fanfiction. Keep doing that if you want, but I'm sure there are other reasons you'd like to change, I won't push. Otherwise, take the great advice, and I suppose I'd offer my own. Since it's fanfiction, there's obviously source material that it's based on. Maybe try to find some books with similar themes to the source material for the fanfiction you read.

Reader124-Logan t1_j2lc3xw wrote

I go through spells of reading fan fiction, usually on AO3. When I’m stressed out or busy, their archive is easy access and there’s always something interesting there. I also enjoy various short fiction and specifically the stories that re-work or offer a twist on fairytales and myths. Ellen Datlow is one of my favorite editors of short fiction anthologies, and her books are widely held in public libraries.

Financial_Ocelot_256 t1_j2lcht8 wrote

Well my good friend, make a custom reading 20 pages per day (of books), and give a shot to those great books of all times (like Harry potter, blindness essay, atlas shrugged, 1984 etc.).

There are a lot of books that are certain you would like, as many other have, so just jump on them. Get into groups of people talking about books, that will help you find new ones. (Here is one, i forgot it's name).

chachkoka t1_j2lvm7f wrote

Trust me, half of the books read like really great fanfiction. The only difference is that, you aren’t already invested in the characters and the world. But if you’ve ever read a great fic, there’s three other authors who’ve monetised that as an original story !!

twilightsagawebcomic t1_j2m3puu wrote

Nothing wrong with fanfiction! But I’d say find books you relate to!

Top recommendation is the book Fangirl. Not sure if you’ve already read it but it’s about a young woman who does write fanfiction and it’s incredible, especially for a fangirl myself.

MountainSnowClouds t1_j39867n wrote

First, there is absolutely nothing wrong with reading fanfiction. There are a lot of really talented fanfic creators out there. Reading is a hobby. If it isn't hurting you or anyone else, then read what you like. And anyone who has anything negative to say about it is an ass.

Second, wanting to read more traditionally published books is a good goal if this is something that is important to you and not something that you're just doing because you feel pressured into it. Start with genres that you know you are interested in. What genres of fanfiction do you typically lean towards? If you enjoy fanfiction with fantasy elements and heavy romance, then maybe check out some new adult urban fantasy that is labeled "spicy'.

Third, there are also some good reading groups that can give you ideas. I mostly follow ones on Facebook. It's one of the only things I use Facebook for. Haha. My favorite one on Facebook is called Book Box Sherlocks. It's a group specifically targeted at figuring out what books book subscription box services are doing each month, but there are a lot of good book recs. You can use it to see and get excited about some popular new releases coming out. And I find it fun sharing excitement and discussing new books coming out with others.

Good luck on your 2023 goals! And remember, anything read is a success. ❤️ Don't beat yourself up over a hobby!

ObscureMemes69420 t1_j2j7v6v wrote

Just stop reading fan fiction. It's cancer. Maybe disconnect from social media apps that encourage your fan fiction addiction (ie. Tiktok, instagram, obscure manga communities... etc)

−7

pureteddybear2008 t1_j2l9522 wrote

Despite what you think sir, fanfiction isn't cancer. Tell me. What is so bad about someone writing a story about already existing characters? Reading is reading, it doesn't matter what form it's in as long as you enjoy it.