Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

RainbowPandaDK t1_j5vvf88 wrote

Great books. Read them all in 2021. The last one was the weakest, but it was mainly cause I didn't care for the, at times, American setting. Also I was hoping for more Mencho stuff.

La barbie/narco polo(did they call him Eddie in the books?) Is such a mystery to me. Almost did my masters thesis in criminology on him. Considering he doesn't really fit the bill on most(if any) criminology theories.

TacticalMongoose OP t1_j5yxpxm wrote

Do you mind elaborating a bit on criminology theories and narco polo?

RainbowPandaDK t1_j5z01op wrote

In short. The dude was upper middle class. American. Well off family. Star athlete etc. He doesn't fit the general idea of who people join "gangs" or organized crime.

Usually it will fall into subculture theory, meaning, in short, that your peers and the authority people around you don't acknowledge or respect you(for example cause they lack skills in school) and you basically don't live up to the standard norm and value systems of society. Instead you form a subculture with like minded people where norm systems and values are of a whole different category(in this case the more violent you are and the better you are at crime, the more your peers value and respect you).

Another idea would be that of anomy and strain theory. Again, in short, everybody has an idea of what "the good life is" or the "American dream" if you will. However, some people are blocked from getting this through legitimate means. Either cause of societal structures or cause they lack the neccesarily skills(often referred to as capital). This causes strain on their lives, so they seek to eliminate that strain and have "what we have" through other means(crime).

The guy lacked neither. He was perfectly tracked towards a normal life with well off parents. You could argue he did it for sneaky thrills(though that's most common when related to petty crime like shoplifting) or that he is simply a complete sociopath.

Think about all the other cartel figures. They usually came from literally nothing(or it becomes a generational thing where the sons carry on the enterprise). But that guy, he simply doesn't fit The bill.

I almost wrote him a letter angling for an interview, to base my masters thesis on him. But my academic advisor thought it to be a bad idea to potentially put myself in danger, however minor the chance would be(my advisors wife is Mexican, so he had some insight)

TacticalMongoose OP t1_j5zc4zm wrote

Huh, I never really connected the dots like that regarding La barbie and his privileged early life. Super interesting to think about, how some privileged Chicano football player ends up as a key figure in mexicos drug cartels. Probably made the right choice not to send him a letter though 😂 very interesting read though, thanks for sharing!