Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

varda_elentari_913 t1_j6le4hf wrote

Yeah! My mom and I are both speed readers (like I finished War and Peace in three days) and people always ask if I actually read the book or just skimmed through it. I did read it, I just read really fast.

GaryTheCommander t1_j6mr3s9 wrote

Yes but there is a certainly point where ridicule makes sense. War and Peace in 3 days is just a great way to make sure you don't let anything sink in.

Bananaman932 t1_j6lyke5 wrote

I have a story somewhat related to this because I'm a speed reader.

In my elementary school, I used to read as much as possible. Kindergarten teacher was surprised at how quickly I was reading books but she was extremely supportive so after making sure I knew what the book was about she personally helped me with vocabulary and reading comprehension. I still remember her name to this day and give her credit for why I used to go into school happily (until the dreaded years of high school)

But... 1st grade I had a horrible teacher. I don't know why she had everything against me. Still remember that she made me reread a book 4 times because she didn't believe I knew what I was reading. Didn't even ask me questions to test my reading comprehension (Well she asked one but I got it wrong but she still didn't ask more). >!I have a lot more stories about her but that's for another subreddit.!<

I think this is why some people don't like reading in general. They can get discouraged pretty easily when younger if there's not enough support. I was lucky with loving parents and great teachers but that one year of having a terrible teacher almost made me stop reading for some time.