Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

honestlyicba t1_j6hps1u wrote

I’ve read five of her books ( I think) back when I was coming out of a reading slump and her books were all over the internet.

The emotional and physical abuse (not just present in It Ends With Us) really disturbed me but I read it while highlighting all the worse red flags from the characters.

It Ends With Us was supposed to have some moral message but it got completely lost ok me when the abusive husband literally have little to no consequence. Sure Lily stood up for herself at the end but like why doesn’t what’s his name Ryle? Kyle? get any real life consequences other than a divorce.

It is super disturbing and unsatisfying to read. I wanted him to go to jail.

camilla_reads t1_j6hrhx6 wrote

Yes! This was my major issue with IEWU too, I wanted actual repercussions for Ryle's behaviour. But instead it's some schmaltzy ending? Miss me with that. CoHo had a chance to tell a story about a woman finding the strength to report her abusive husband to the cops and prosecute him and instead she somehow romanticised it all to the point that people on TikTok are talking about how hot Ryle is and how he should be forgiven.

honestlyicba t1_j6i0oxg wrote

And when some people are like “omg gimme a CoHo male love interest” I’m like omg you all need therapy

camilla_reads t1_j6i1v4t wrote

I worry for young people posting that kinda thing tbh like... you really think Miles from Ugly Love or whatever his name is from November 9 are "goals"? Please, seek help.

honestlyicba t1_j6i3e9r wrote

I found it horrifying when I saw CoHo in the YA section of my local bookstore.

camilla_reads t1_j6i4mrm wrote

Noooooooooo. Although saying that, she DOES have some YA books apparently. I've only ever read her adult ones though so I couldn't comment on what kind of relationships they portray but I think I'll go with: probably also toxic and problematic 🙃

honestlyicba t1_j6i4xzb wrote

Funny you said that because the one person who recommended CoHo to me (she said it’s her fav author) is in an incredibly abusive and controlling relationship.

There are real life consequences when you portray abuse and manipulation as romantic.

camilla_reads t1_j6i5ji7 wrote

This is the issue here, exactly. Not that she writes about these toxic relationships but that they're normalised and even romanticised. Imagine reading her books as an impressionable young teenager and thinking that's how relationships work, that it's oh-so-dreamy when a guy loves you SO much he flies into a jealous rage of another man so much as glances at you.

There are absolutely real life consequences to this kind of book being popularised and hyped as much as CoHo's are.

honestlyicba t1_j6i8bev wrote

You are exactly right. It’s not the subject matter itself (toxic and problematic relationships) but writing them in a way that makes it seems romantic to impressionable young minds.

When we are young we are like blank sheets of paper and if we start believing at that age that it’s okay to be with someone who lies and gaslights and manipulated, we would think it’s normal.

It’s not the young readers fault, the books are overhyped and honestly they don’t know any better.

bishrexual OP t1_j6htmw8 wrote

Agreed. Have you read Starts? Im wondering if there’s any resolution to this in the sequel. But from what I’ve gleaned, it’s mainly focused on justifying the whole Atlast having sex with underage Lily situation lol. So many problematic ideas. How did this author get so viral…

camilla_reads t1_j6hxy2b wrote

I own a copy of ISWU (a moment of madness on my part) but haven't read it yet. I just asked my friends who have read it straight up: is it worth it? Apparently there are never any real repercussions for Ryle and yeahhhh... all the justification for the underage sex stuff too. Eeesh. Every book she has which is billed as romance seems to actually just have a bunch of problematic and toxic relationships in it, from emotionally manipulative men to full on stalkers who are made out to seem "sweet" and "misunderstood". And female characters who are just walked all over. It really bothers me that this is an author whose works are pushed all over at a very young demographic