Submitted by mikaelnguyen t3_10ppbl1 in books

After many years planning to read and a lengthy reading process, I finally got through East of Eden. In my opinion, John Steinbeck’s magnum opus, is a thought provoking, emotional exercise. John Steinbeck’s subtle profound quotes cut through his impeccable use of imagery by stimulating all 5 senses with his words.

Like most books, there are highs and lows with pacing. I think that overall, the exhilarating highs definitely outweigh the lows, but the lows can really be a real slog. I found the story of Adam and Charles to be far more tantalizing than the story of Aaron and Caleb. I didn’t entirely dislike the last quarter of the book but I really did not like Aaron as a character.

The ending was a masterful example of how to finish a book. Although the discussion of naming Adam’s kids were in the middle of the book, I felt it appropriate to end the books tying back to the real start of Adam’s life.

8 folded page corners/10 📚

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

EAF_Gummy_Bear t1_j6o6vic wrote

I got into reading as an adult and was one of the first books I read, didn’t have any issues with the pacing because it seemed to fit the time and setting so well. Time just moved slower but it fit the book perfectly for me.

mikaelnguyen OP t1_j6o77ff wrote

I totally get that. My wife was actually the one who recommended it to me with the cautionary “there are some slow parts, but just get through them” quote that is all too famous. I must’ve just gone in with some pacing bias.

belladonna_nectar t1_j6osvk5 wrote

I had mixed feelings while reading it: was mesmerized by the description of Salina Valley in the beginning and was thinking to myself "how comes I didn't discover this book earlier?", then felt a bit exhausted by the initial conflicts between the two brothers and Cathy's erratic behaviour, but after getting into it I couldn't stop.It took me like 2 weeks (?) to finish it, which is unusual when I dig a book. But I have an excuse, it's a pretty thick book lol. At times it can be a bit boring and unrealistic, but some of the characters and their dynamics make it the masterpiece that it is. Its rawness distinguish it from a lovely feel good novel with nice characters; it's relatable, almost palpable and larger than life. Imo its imperfections make it perfect, it's a fine balance that Steinbeck mastered

mikaelnguyen OP t1_j6ox8c3 wrote

I absolutely agree Steinbeck’s imagery is some of the absolute best. For me personally, I absolutely enjoyed what happened between Adam, Charles and Kathy. I wasn’t to invested in Aaron and Caleb. The book is very long so it took me awhile too.

belladonna_nectar t1_j6oxylt wrote

Uhm, I loved the whole book, only that at times Cathy's description was borderline unrealistic. I found Aaron and Caleb's development interesting to watch and Abra took the dynamics to a whole new level. Anyways, to think that people like them exist and strong bonds like theirs happen makes me wanna cry a bit. 🤷

Combatfighter t1_j6m6pyh wrote

I also recently read East of Eden. I personally didn't find any issues with pacing, though I was questioning a bit of the purpose of the POV chapters of Kathy's bouncer/bodyguard.

Otherwise, I found it really good, and absolutely see why this is considered one of the greatest american novels. I loved Samuel and Lee especially as characters, both huge wells of wisdom. I found it interesting how I initially disliked Caleb a lot, but as the boys grew I found him more and more, well, human. It might align with Aaron POVs stopping and Caleb POVs starting, my copy is back at library so I cannot make sure if this is the case. Kathy is an amazing villain/antagonist.

Only thing I was a bit weirded out was a couple spots of body descriptions of female characters, that felt more descriptive and detailed than the male counterparts.

mikaelnguyen OP t1_j6o888g wrote

I agree with you on pretty much everything, to a T. I replied to an earlier comment about the pacing and noted that I think I went into it with pacing bias since my wife told me it was slow in parts. Again, I don’t think by any measure it was awful - just kinda similar to the slow parts in 20,000 leagues under the sea.

Completely agree about the relevance of Joe. Like he felt somewhat insignificant to me… Regarding Cal, I align with you exactly. I initially disliked him and liked aaron then completely swapped. Kathy was also excellent.

Caleb_Trask19 t1_j6mjpmq wrote

I’m rereading it this year for the first time since I was 16 in the early 80s. It was my favorite book, I’m a bit reluctant about it holding up, but I’m hoping it’s still a masterpiece to me.

DeedTheInky t1_j6mp8ny wrote

I just read it a couple of months ago, I thought it held up really well. There are a few bits of language that are racially a bit shocking and as someone else said, the descriptions of some female characters can be quite overly-detailed but the general themes and message are pretty right-on I thought. :)

mikaelnguyen OP t1_j6o7iv8 wrote

Totally agree about the racist language. Being Asian and my wife also being of Chinese descent, the treatment of Lee by smaller side characters were pretty upsetting (the nurse at the end kinda turned my gears).

DeedTheInky t1_j6ojz35 wrote

Yeah the way some people treat Lee is rough, and there's also a side character just straight-up called the n-word. Like that's literally the name everybody calls her by. D:

mikaelnguyen OP t1_j6oxgge wrote

I was appalled by that as well especially how no one was empathetic to her passing and still referred to her as that even at her empty funeral. So sad and truly awful.