Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Washableaxe t1_ja9030o wrote

73 degrees, are you nuts? My heat won’t touch a temperature starting with 7. You pretty much explained it yourself. If you want to cook yourself in your unit at 33 cents kW/h you’re gonna have a bad time.

GM_Pax t1_ja95jq8 wrote

This.

My thermostat is downstairs (single family home). I dial it to 64 during the day, and it hits ~70 upstairs. At night, I turn it down to 50, and it's still 55-60 upstairs.

If I get cold, I put on a sweater or a light jacket. If I'm STILL cold, then I'll go turn the heat up 2 or 3 degrees.

Washableaxe t1_ja97ycr wrote

Yea, my first line of defense is always adding more clothes. Sweatpants / sweatshirt / slippers.

Then I have a small space heater for my office room that I use moderately throughout the day (work from home) to keep my immediate proximity a bit warmer while keeping the apartment heat at 66 daytime temp.

Anthraxkix t1_jab5i5q wrote

Man my system must have horrible circulation. It's noticeably colder upstairs in the winter, and the thermostat is like a third of the way up the stairs.

GM_Pax t1_jab8ddq wrote

... heat rises. If your upstairs is colder than your downstairs, that's not circulation, that's insulation ... the insulation of your attic must be sorely lacking. Several years back, mom had an absolutely epic twenty-four inches of insulation put in the attic, here. :)

Anthraxkix t1_jabjsdi wrote

Hmm, thanks, I'll look into that. The home inspector raved about the foam insulation in the attic, but it could be something else or not enough.

Our gas bill comparison to similar homes in the area does always have us at the very low end of usage, at least.

GM_Pax t1_jacdhas wrote

Then it might be your walls, or your windows.

thebakersfloof t1_jab7s2a wrote

My living room will sometimes hit 70 at the thermostat on cold nights. It's not intentional; I have a Nest thermostat with sensors, and my bedroom runs 4-6 degrees cooler than my living room and can take a little while to heat up (corner bedroom with windows on the 2 exterior walls).

That said, I keep my temp set at 64 degrees but will sometimes up it to 66-68 if I'm feeling chilly while working from home. Layers, cozy socks, and blankets are my friend. I live in ~1100 square feet, and my bill last month was around $160, which I thought was high. Posts like these are a handy reality check.