Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

bcardarella OP t1_j9zp39f wrote

I'm just going Starlink when my Verizon contract is up anyway. Also, the property is very flat and it was a huge pita getting the grade right for drainage. I'd prefer not to deal with a sagging line down the property that will just collect water

−55

dghah t1_j9zs3ub wrote

Starlink user here up at my cabin in Maine where I have a full remote job. Even in an uncontested area it’s expensive and unreliable if latency and persistent connectivity matters

And you have no recourse over how they manage the dish — for a year my dish pointed in a certain direction so we cleared trees, rented a boom lift and raised the dish to the highest point on our roofline ….

… then less than a week later starlink pushed out a east coast update that repointed dishes to a new direction causing me to go from 0% obstruction with perfect signal to 2% obstruction with brief outages every 2 minutes on average. I’m fucked until I can rent a lift and take down a different tree

And this is in semi rural Maine — your sky view and local cell is gonna much worse in any urban location

The basic deal is starlink is great ONLY if you literally have no other options. Any fixed line broadband option is going to be 100x better

I pay for a business grade Verizon FIOS circuit at my boston spot for a reason heh

Selfeducation t1_ja0zvl2 wrote

Its insane how they were able to rebrand satellite internet for rural areas into something people actually think they should have

endlesscartwheels t1_ja1cy18 wrote

It shows the importance of choosing the right name. Starlink is a masterpiece in eight letters.

therealcmj t1_j9zpr9o wrote

They will microtrench. As in it’ll be a machine with what is effectively a saw blade.

Starlink is good for remote locations where there is no option of fiber. In dense areas it’s not as good because wireless spectrum is shared.

Middle-Example6618 t1_j9zviqf wrote

I mean, it's his lawn. You're entitled to your opinions of it, but personally, sounds to me like he wants both of us off it.

everwriter t1_j9zq25x wrote

Out of curiosity, why Starlink? Their LEO satellite service is generally more expensive and less consistent than Fios, so just wondering if there was a reason for the swap