Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Codspear t1_ja0a15h wrote

Manchester-By-The-Sea is a town that doesn’t want anyone poorer than upper-middle class living in it, just like all the other towns in the region, and now they’re worried because essential services don’t have any working class labor pool to hire from. This is a great case of r/leopardsatemyface.

Too bad, so sad. Build some more housing, including for those working class you despise so much, if you want firefighters again.

Graywulff t1_ja0gweb wrote

Yeah town based section 8 vouchers for public workers might help. Make them able to rent in the area.

Mammoth_Aardvark_261 t1_j9zdi5p wrote

Town manager should fight the fires too, fuck it, send the librarian.

BayStateBlue t1_ja127tk wrote

Puts down Fahrenheit 451

“I’ve been preparing for this moment my whole life.”

Dontleave t1_j9z3xvx wrote

Doesn’t help that they only want to hire 1 more firefighter and the window for the application process ended a month ago. You want more firefighters? Hire them

Maxpowr9 t1_j9ys1ta wrote

Shitty Herald is shitty.

It's Manchester-by-the-Sea

LordBawlmore t1_j9zj1o2 wrote

Forget it, Jake. It’s Manchester-By-The-Sea Town.

DagothDeez t1_ja0aqxy wrote

They're going to fear for their lives and start shooting the fires

BsFan t1_ja0f6dm wrote

They should do what Waterville Valley NH did and make everyone train to be police fire and EMS. They are called the fire pigs and I think it's one of only a couple towns in the country that does that.

Meverseyou t1_ja21cjk wrote

Somewhat related, but Davis County, Utah, the sheriffs are paramedics available to do ALS intercepts with Basic units.

oogaboogaaa2 t1_ja1eyqa wrote

Call in Casey Affleck. Oh, wait.

RailRoad_Candy t1_ja01hjv wrote

This would only makes sense if fires were black. Only then could leave it to the police to beat out a fire.

candidcamerapeepshow t1_ja0kt3e wrote

Might as well call in the Coast Guard

Otherwise-Fly-331 t1_ja23zjs wrote

I think that’s a good idea! They can explain to the fire that while the USCG isn’t under the DOD they are still considered a branch of the US armed forces and will command the same respect

roadtrip-ne t1_ja2lnir wrote

Why not just have the sea do it, they’re right by it

Trpdoc t1_ja00pmn wrote

Honestly a great idea. Replace the police with firefighters they seem super upstanding and less likely to shoot you bc you’re jaywalking

AutoModerator t1_j9ylbem wrote

The linked source has opted to use a soft paywall to restrict free viewership of their content. As alternate sources become available, please post them as a reply to this comment. Users with a library card can often view unrestricted articles here Boston Herald articles are still permissible. Please refrain from filing report as Rule 5 violation.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

[deleted] t1_j9yz9z9 wrote

[deleted]

UltravioletClearance t1_j9z2wws wrote

The article says they had a group of call firefighters but it sounds like they left. So their solution is to voluntell cops to play firefighter.

baazaar131 t1_ja27jqz wrote

Sounds like a plan considering how little work police really do, especially in smaller towns. They get so bored they pull you over just for fun. They get paid good money as well, look it up. You can find out how much each town pays their police workers. It's more than you think it is. :-D Especially if they have a 'degree', their initial pay rate goes way up. It's the new thing to do, get a 'degree' in like criminal justice or w/e then apply to become an officer. I'm sure this has changed recently, but I know there used to be an upper bound on how good you could do on the exam, due to the belief being too 'intelligent' (a metric as a result of your exam score), results in lower retention times. Intelligence became a liability of sorts.

caspa10152 t1_ja38436 wrote

Why don't they just disband their unionized fire department and make it volunteer. I know that's what they do in Long Island. Seems to work well for the rich towns there.

MelkorWasRight t1_ja3t7hx wrote

oh this will go over well once the cops start shooting at the fires.

−1

MongoJazzy t1_ja4f8q5 wrote

why is an article about MBTS in r/Boston ?

−1

Dseltzer1212 t1_ja03pd1 wrote

That’s fair to ask of the police

−2

ReverseBanzai t1_ja008ct wrote

Have to laugh seeing a post in r/boston about a town nowhere close to the greater boston area . The same day a post about boston public schools in r/Massachusetts

−12