Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Acocke t1_jaalvx3 wrote

I’m confused who these boomers think they’re going to sell to?

Look at the demographics, there is no bigger generation. There will never be another grey wave. Those many who own assets are currently asset rich. Soon they will be selling those assets for cash to the few. All in order to get healthcare and retirement care. They will be selling to those who are deep in debt and who want them dead.

I’m hoping for a huge bust. But frankly speaking I’ve given up. Best case scenario is to bet on options and plan an arbitrage situation where I join a wave of Americans gentrifying another country like Mexico or Portugal.

symonym7 t1_jace07q wrote

I’m sure BlackRock will be happy to buy up a significant portion of the boomers’ housing stock and we’ll all be renting from them within 20 years.

Acocke t1_jacghhy wrote

And who owns Blackrock? Pension plans that will need to pay out or is there another major generational asset holder I’m missing?

symonym7 t1_jackch6 wrote

I’d imagine companies like Blackrock would be paying out pensions in part using rent from properties they own/will own. My understanding of this is abysmal, but it fits the boomers-siphoning-wealth-from-younger-generations narrative fairly well.

Meanwhile, my social security deductions for February would cover ~3wks of groceries.

philosai t1_jaaoies wrote

The problem is that people with money will buy up all the houses. And the boomers that own a home will be leaving it to their children who will either hold it, rent it, or sell it for as much as possible. Not at the price point they want to sell it at? Hold or rent

Acocke t1_jaapkwd wrote

Rent it to who? Pay property taxes with what? And those children will be selling it to whom? The point is that demand could very well dry up considerably and it will become a buyers market.

3720-To-One t1_jab25zi wrote

I’m sure private equity will be happy to buy everything up on the cheap

whoeve t1_jadjbsu wrote

"could"

Nothing has shown that it's going to dry up. Still insane levels of demand even with the price + rate increases.

LennyKravitzScarf t1_jacsfiz wrote

Google tells me there are 2 million more millennials than boomers, and that population is growing faster than housing.