Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Inferiex t1_jacquw6 wrote

No, because even if you go with friends; unless you're all at the same skill level, you'll end up being alone anyways. Definitely not weird.

You do you man, who cares what people think anyways? No one is gonna remember you at the mountain and doubtful you're gonna see them ever again.

JeWonster t1_jacrj19 wrote

Going solo is amazing. No waiting for others and lots of time singles line moves way faster.

BackItUpWithLinks t1_jacqyg6 wrote

Not at all.

You should see if Boston ski and sport club has a trip and see if it’s something you can sign up for

https://bssc.com

somegummybears t1_jacxas7 wrote

This. It’s often cheaper than getting your own lift pass and transportation is included. And you can meet people if you don’t want to be alone.

dwigtshirt t1_jaddewc wrote

Thank you so much for this! I’ve been wanting to go skiing but have 0 idea how to, and everything seemed so expensive

AeuiGame t1_jactmhy wrote

Nobody gives a shit what anyone else is doing in public ever, as long as you've got pants on.

OrangeLoco t1_jacsh72 wrote

Not even close to being weird. Sometimes I prefer to go solo.

benb777 t1_jacu235 wrote

Go for it just stay safe.

One awesome thing about going alone is you can just go in the single-line all the time and skip a lot of the lines.

GM_Pax t1_jacyn8t wrote

No. Do what you enjoy, as long as it harms noone.

Seriously, friend, I just went to Disney World alone. No kids, no partner, just me. And (aside from catching COVID, damnit) had an absolute, smashingly good time of it. :)

ew_gross_stop_no t1_jad91kl wrote

As someone interested in traveling alone but overwhelmed by how to start, how was going to Disney World alone? Did you ever feel weird about being there alone? How did you decide where to stay and what to do each day?

GM_Pax t1_jaddgrr wrote

Well, it helped that this was my sixth trip there (fifth as an adult). :)

And, at first I thought I'd feel weird ... but actually, I didn't. Struck up conversations with other Guests while in line for some attractions now and then. Had other guests do the same - one pair of women who wound up sat next to me for one ride even jokingly said "Looks like we're your new family, now!" :)

​

>How did you decide where to stay and what to do each day?

Where to stay was easy - POP Century, on Disney property. I'd stayed there before, and really liked it^(1). Also, the room was largely going to be just a place to sleep, shower, and store my stuff ... :)

As for what to do? You have to plan out which park you're going to in advance anyway, right now - they still have the "park reservation" system in place from the pandemic. Plus, at WDW, if you don't make your dining reservations WELL in advance of actually getting there, odds are you're not going to eat at any of the sit-down "table service" restaurants at all (walk-up availability is rarer than snow in Florida, ha!!).

So what I did is, months beforehand, I made a list of the parks, where I hoped to have each meal, and which attractions I wanted to do (some marked as "must", some as "want", etc). Here's an example from an early draft:

>Day 3 - EPCOT
>
> ATTRACTIONS
>
>(NEW) GotG: Cosmic Rewind
>
>(NTM) Remy's Ratatouille Adventure
>
>Soarin'
>
>(NTM) Mission: SPACE
>
>
>
> MEALS
>
>B: (Q) Resort
>
>L: (T) Space 220
>
>D: (T) Rose & Crown
>
>... inquire about fireworks viewing ...

For meals, (Q) means a "quick service" - you get your food on a tray, and then go find somewhere to sit and eat. (T) is table service, you get seated and given a menu, then a server takes your order and brings you your food. For attractions, (NTM) = "New To Me" but had been there for a while; (NEW) = "new since my last visit".

Now, "no plan survives contact with the enemy", and I did keep refining things (as I chose dates, etc). So, EPCOT moved from Day 3 to Day 2, and I never was able to get in to Space 220 (I even went for a moonshot by checking if I could get a walk-up table ... no dice, sadly). Here's what my plans actually looked like, two or three weeks before getting there:

>Day 2, Friday 27 JAN - EPCOT (9am-9pm; early entry at 8:30am)
>
> EXTRAS
>
>Genie+ & A La Carte (GotG)
>
>
>
> GETTING THERE
>
>Skyliner
>
>
>
> ATTRACTIONS
>
>(NEW) GotG: Cosmic Rewind
>
>(NEW) Remy's Ratatouille Adventure
>
>Soarin'
>
>(NTM) Mission: SPACE
>
>
>
> MEALS
>
>B: (Q) Resort
>
>L: (Q) TBD
>
>D: (T) Rose & Crown

And even that, was only a loose guideline. I didn't manage to do Cosmic Rewind at all (I didn't understand that the queue was only virtual, and by the time I wanted to get in, it was already full up for the entire day - oops!).

Also, the Skyliner was down for maintenance that whole week (but I did get to use it to get to/from Hollywood Studios on Day 5!).

In practise? I got to the park, rode Mission Space (not much fun by yourself, sadly), before meandering over to the France pavilion on the World Showcase, to line up for Ratatouille (my 10yo niece had insisted I get pictures - I gave her video instead, heh). Then wandered the World Showcase, checking out the shops etc.

Around lunchtime, I was done with that part of the park, so I had lunch at a quick-service location, decided I was a bit tired, and went back to my resort for a brief nap (hey, being >50 sucks sometimes, haha). Then went right back to the parks, rode Test Track, and went to the U.K. pavilion for my dinner at Rose & Crown (fish & chips, preceded by a scotched egg - I'd had that egg the last time I was there, in 2014, and loved it so much that R&C was a "do or die" meal, ha!).

After dinner, hit up The Land, rode the "Living with the Land" attraction (an educational tour of some high-tech greenhouses - nice and relaxing), then found a good spot to watch the closing fireworks show before heading back to my room for the night.

The first half of the day was a little bit of a let-down, being alone - I hadn't yet acclimated to the idea. But after that nap? LOVED the rest of the day. And my days alone in Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom were excellent alone, too. (For the Magic Kingdom ... I have family in Florida, so I invited them all to join me there - including my nieces, ages 2, 5, and 10.)

Unfortunately, I got sick, and Day 6 - which was to be a day alone in the MK, to do the things I wanted, rather than what my nieces wanted - I spent in my room, instead. The whole day. :( And it turned out, I'd caught COVID ... probably on the plane, despite mask, vaccination, and up-to-date boosters. Not a brilliant end to the trip, but the days before that were wonderful.

​

​

​

^(1): Actually, a bit of a story: this trip was paid for with some insurance money form my mother having passed in June - I needed the trip, and it's planning, to help distract me from my grief. Anyway, I had chosen a "Preferred" room, which means it would be within a shorter distance of the main building. I'd also specified I wanted to be on the side of the building facing away from the pool, and on the second floor if possible.

Well, when I checked in, I was assigned a room in the 1950's section (POP century has sections for the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s - where Art of Animation is now would have been the other half of POP, with sections for the 40s, 30s, 20s, 10s, and 1900s ... but the Great Recession torpedo'd those plans and eventually AoA happened instead).

Well, my mother was born in 1950, and I'd bought a small pendant that holds some of her ashes specifically to wear to WDW. I'd long wanted to take her back there (she'd last been there, with me, when I was only 14) ... so, symbolically at least, I did.

But, yeah ... the coincidence of being in the 1950s section, and my mother's birth year? Yeah, I sat and cried quietly in the room for a brief while. Really felt like she WAS there with me.

^(Edit: attempt to fix formatting)

ew_gross_stop_no t1_jaezyqr wrote

Wow, this is so informative - thank you! That’s so special about the 1950s section and your mom

tandemtuna t1_jacsga9 wrote

Totally common. Go for it.

Master_Dogs t1_jacxz7g wrote

I go skiing by myself all the time. It's tough to line up schedules with family and friends. I just play some music on an earbud and ski whatever I want.

Benefits to going alone too:

• you can stop wherever and whenever you want.
  • this is especially nice if you want to hit up the NH liquor stores on the highway off 93 in Hooksett, or grab coffee, or food or whatever 🍻🍷🍾
  • you can ski / board whatever you want
  • double black diamond? Fuck it, SEND IT! ⛷️🏂
  • cruiser day? Go for it. 🥽
  • you can also take the singles line, and ride with random people. Lots of cool conversions that way. I even ran into the same dude with his kids at two mountains on two different days, which was extremely funny and completely unplanned.
  • the singles line is also wicked fast since you don't wait with a group and you hop on the first chair with space for 1 person 🏎️
  • I've done 20+ runs a day with this time savings
  • plus most of my friends aren't doing 20+ runs a day anyway and want food/coffee/beer after a few runs

The only downside is you can't force your friends to drive part of the way. But my car is fançy and has lane assist/adaptive cruise control so for most of my trips up 93 I don't feel too bad after driving for 2+ hours each way. There are also ski buses that hit up various mountains, so you could potentially just jump on one of those if you aren't up for a long drive.

TL&DR: SEND IT!! ⛷️🏂⛷️🏂⛷️🥽

2phatt t1_jactpby wrote

I used to always ski alone. Ski what you want, singles lines, and more runs than when you ski with others.

Nirvanasrm t1_jacrasa wrote

Go rip it up, you will have more fun alone. Get that GNAR

RogueInteger t1_jactotg wrote

It's the best. Don't have to worry about other people's gear breaking, skill level, or getting too drunk/calling it quits.

Just bring a whistle in case you end up of the side somewhere.

bacon_and_eggs t1_jacv7wk wrote

nope, you'll also get way more runs in. Singles line on the chairlift always goes quicker.

Lannden t1_jacvwmx wrote

None of my local friends and only a couple of my family members snowboard so I go alone all the time, basically since I started driving. There is really no reason you wouldn’t be able to snowboard alone. As others have pointed out, unless you are the same skill level it isn’t really a social event. Plus, you usually meet some cool people who are at your skill level. Go out there and have fun.

somegummybears t1_jacxdyb wrote

Totally normal and nobody will care. If you’re self conscious, it’s not like anyone will recognize you in all your ski clothes.

IDCFFSGTFO t1_jad4oag wrote

No. Probably 1/4 of the people on any given mountain are riding/skiing alone.

HeyThere201 t1_jacuoxo wrote

It’s not weird also you could do some of the BSC ski trips would rec that!

TanksParadise t1_jacux2b wrote

Not at all - in fact riding alone is my preference. Your own trails, your own speed...it's freeing

Efficient_Art_1144 t1_jacw037 wrote

Skiing and snowboarding alone is totally cool imo. You’re there for the runs vs the social aspect so if that doesn’t bother you think about all the lift line time you’ll save going up the singles line. More turns for the day!

bww37 t1_jad07bf wrote

Not at all! I used to ski alone and I’d actually sign up for an intermediate ski class just so I could practice skills and get a private tour of the mountain

TheAVnerd t1_jad5i9x wrote

I’m 41 with three kids and a wife. There is nothing i would rather do than be able to take a few runs alone. Cherish it.

nattarbox t1_jad84gf wrote

preferable sometimes

therealcmj t1_jades7c wrote

Honestly there is nothing I enjoy more than playing hooky and heading to the mountain for the day all alone.

__plankton__ t1_jadi9la wrote

I’ve done it a lot. It’s a ton of fun. Just have some awareness about the fact that youre alone. Don’t do tree runs or empty slopes on the far end of the mountain.