Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jtet93 t1_ja8niqa wrote

I assume you mean on a J1 visa?

A lot of Irish kids do it but they’re often bunking up 3 to a room in shithole apartments (some girls I worked with one summer in college were sleeping 3 to a bed).

You can do it and have fun… but just understand that housing here is on par with London prices, and summer employment will likely be working at a moving company, caddying, waiting tables, etc, none of which is going to amass you a fortune.

And you could probably have an equally fun American experience in a different, less expensive city (Chicago perhaps?). I would just weigh your options carefully and be realistic about what you can afford.

Potential-Fruit6856 t1_ja8obyv wrote

Yes thank you very much this was exactly what I was thinking aswell. I've no intentions of gathering a sum of wealth more so for experience and some of the irish history in Boston, the living situation was my largest concern but if there as expensive as London I may have to reconsider. Thank you again.

jtet93 t1_ja8oqym wrote

If you want your own room prepare to pay $1200 per month. And expect to pay 4 months of rent up front to move in, so minimum $4800. This covers first month’s rent, last month’s rent, a security deposit that will be repaid to you minus any damages, and a broker fee that you’ll never see again, lol.