Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

WinsingtonIII t1_j9oi558 wrote

Well, that and the fact that the bridge needs to be replaced no matter what since it is part of Morrissey Boulevard, unless the plan is to shut down Morrissey Boulevard indefinitely.

I feel like people are interpreting this as $122 million of "unnecessary" spending that could be completely avoided, but there's no way to completely avoid this spending. Some portion of that spending would need to happen anyways even if the plan was to rebuild it as a standard bridge. Standard bridges do cost quite a bit of money themselves.

Edit: for reference, this is where the bridge is located, it's not a bridge specifically in place to access the yacht club (in fact, from what I can tell it isn't a good way to access the yacht club at all), it's part of a main road: https://goo.gl/maps/R2VNgSHWE6erXyqV6

lifeisakoan t1_j9olvzr wrote

If the removed the Dorchester Yacht club and decertified the navigable waterway designation they could build a cheaper bridge and wouldn't need to pay $100k a year for operators.

The Pleasure Bay at Castle Island is larger and isn't certified as navigable.

WinsingtonIII t1_j9ooma0 wrote

Sure, I am not saying otherwise. But the bridge will need to be replaced with at least a standard bridge at a minimum, and the article and some of the comments here did not seem to be considering that.

itsonlyastrongbuzz t1_j9omp1l wrote

It’s not a bridge that’s specifically to access the club.

It’s a bridge that’s unnecessarily expensive to allow the club to access Mass Bay.