Submitted by feidle t3_117k5yd in boston

Hiya, I’m looking to get a little variety of loose-leaf teas as a gift for a friend. I’d prefer a place where I can get a nice variety of small amounts so they can make their own blends with it. Any suggestions? I’m in Allston.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

NabNausicaan t1_j9cn0ft wrote

Mem Tea. Main store is in Davis Square, but they are sold in many local grocery stores.

twowrist t1_j9c990a wrote

I do mail order from Upton Teas (https://uptontea.com). They have most teas available in sample packs of between 10 to 20 grams. They also have sampler packs of four tins, each with about 35g of a different tea. Personally I’d hold out until their “Introduction to Fine Tea” sampler is in stock again, but they have other sampler packs available.

They’re on the expensive end, but I’ve never found a store front with loose leaf teas having tea as fresh as Upton’s. Many of their teas are single estate teas, but they also have blends, flavored teas, decaf teas, and herbal teas (tisanes).

Since they’re in Massachusetts (Hopkinton, I think, in spite of their name), the cheapest shipping is usually next day by mail.

jinks02215 t1_j9hvjfg wrote

How did I not know this company is based in Mass?!

3720-To-One t1_j9c8cax wrote

Cambridge Naturals in Porter Square

purplepineapple21 t1_j9c9c55 wrote

Seconding this! They have a great selection and the prices for many of the scoop-it-yourself options are better than dedicated tea stores or boxed teas.

becausefrog t1_j9cfutt wrote

Harney & Sons online is great, especially for samples, and it's free shipping in the US.

AKATheMan t1_j9dbrmc wrote

I was a long long term Mem Tea fan, and still think their teas are very nearly as good as tea gets, especially Chinese teas.

But I recently discovered Vahdam teas (sold on e.g. Amazon) and they are exquisitely cultivated, vacuum packed at the source and, to this snob's taste palate, even better.

So now it's Mem Tea for green, and Vahdam for black

whitij t1_j9c8ljy wrote

Not sure it fits your idea exactly, but Tea Forte has some delicious options and the upscale flavors and packaging are nice for gifting. I've liked everything I've tried from them.

DeleteDeleter t1_j9ezx31 wrote

Check out fulfilled goods in Newton! They are a bulk goods store and you need to bring your own containers but they are focused on sustainability and let you buy exactly as much as you want :)

NoMrBond3 t1_j9f5wc0 wrote

I always recommend the Cozy Tea Cart, it’s online (NH based) but they have so many flavors and you can order them in nice tins!

Odd_Sleep2648 t1_j9m39ij wrote

My 2 favorite places are Powerinherbs.com and Premierteaco.com