Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Boston-Summer t1_ja8ojcy wrote

I imagine I may get some hate for this, but from personal experience it isn’t always malicious.

Following this last storm, I cleaned my car off a day later. I warmed it up ahead of time, and still I had to use pretty significant force with an ice scraper to clear the windows (about an inch of ice). Nothing was loose on the roof, and I wasn’t willing to chip away at it for fear of damaging the paint. Never broke off while I was out doing errands, and is still frozen on the top of my vehicle today.

Next time I go out I’ll check again, but I have some grace on people that clearly attempt to clear their car off.

−16

octopodes1 t1_ja8pvxv wrote

You're the problem. When you're driving around in your heated car it'll melt a little bit and wont be stuck to the roof. At which point it'll be loose and fly off, destroying someone else's windshield.

I don't differentiate between malicious and lazy. It's dangerous either way.

f0rtytw0 t1_ja91w7s wrote

Pro tip: Do a quick stop to get the ice on your roof to come down in front of your windshield. It acts as armor and will protect you from flying ice.

Anustart15 t1_ja8tc2z wrote

If you're going to be shitty and not clean off your roof, at the very very least try to break up the ice sheet so when it launches off on the highway, it launches off in smaller pieces and doesn't kill anyone.

winter_bluebird t1_ja98sly wrote

You and every other asshole who “wasn’t willing to chip away at it for fear of damaging the paint”.

You know who’s going to care about that paint when that sheet of ice flies off and smashes someone’s windshield? No one.

P_water t1_jacq2rv wrote

I pray that today, that sheet melts just enough so that when you hit your brakes, it comes down onto your windshield and blocks your view. Just then, you might learn not to be lazy.

Illustrious-Nose3100 t1_ja8vezw wrote

That’s why I went out during the snow and rain and cleared off my car so all the snow wouldn’t turn to ice overnight..

A few years ago I lived in an apartment complex and we had a small snowstorm followed by rain/ice. I was the only one to go out first thing in the morning and clear snow from my car. 8 hours later everyone else came out and literally had to chisel inches of ice off of their cars. Many gave up. It was comical.

−1