Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

RailRoad_Candy t1_jaddi1u wrote

Translation: F#@K YOU!! PAY ME!!!

Nice job Globe. Nothing like telling your readership to go f@#k itself.

mshelikoff t1_jade4df wrote

The opinion section of newspapers used to be used to publish a variety of opinions that intelligent readers could compare with their own. I hope you can imagine going backwards in time to a different era and respond as if you lived in that era instead of writing "Nice job Globe. Nothing like telling your readership to go f@#k itself." I understand that the media you might be used to reading no longer does that.

RailRoad_Candy t1_jadgpd0 wrote

What are you talking about?! Newspapers have been using shock or misleading headlines since their inception in order to manipulate/mislead. Additionally, there has been no dearth of material explaining and detailing reasons that rent control would be a bad thing. I would expect that the timing of this article with the timing of Wu publicly pushing back against critics is not coincidental.

>The opinion section of newspapers used to be used to publish a variety of opinions that intelligent readers could compare with their own. I hope you can imagine going backwards in time to a different era and respond as if you lived in that era instead of writing "Nice job Globe. Nothing like telling your readership to go f@#k itself."

So you believe that I am somehow incapable of summarizing not only the position of the author but the position of the Globe who has been a bit more vocal when it comes to positions against rent control. I am somehow devoid of critical thought in your eyes due to my word choice. You hang on to the prejudice. It should serve you well I am sure, not that you would ever know one way or another.

−4

mshelikoff t1_jadi9ab wrote

> ...I would expect that the timing of this article with...

It's an opinion piece. It's not an article.

> I am somehow devoid of critical thought in your eyes due to my word choice.

I don't think you're devoid of critical thought. But based on your words, you don't seem to recognize the distinction between an opinion piece appearing in the Globe by the CEO of the Greater Boston Real Estate Board and the opinion of the Globe.

AeuiGame t1_jadg2id wrote

The NYT has published opinion pieces by the Taliban. Doesn't mean they're on their side.

RailRoad_Candy t1_jadiiky wrote

So the timing of this article, especially given its author has nothing to do with the timing of this article from yesterday? Gotcha.

−5

AeuiGame t1_jadm7vn wrote

What. Of course its very directly a response to that. Newspapers are going to publish pieces related to topical events. That's what news is. That's why people buy newspapers. This still doesn't mean the newspaper is endorsing the viewpoint in the opinion piece. That's a fundamental misunderstanding on what an opinion piece is.

deadliftothersup t1_jadtxr3 wrote

Yeah I have a more general issue with opinion pieces often leaning towards platforming the already powerful and self-interested, but being against them being topical is a little silly. If there is a crash on the T or a policy proposal in the works, expect an influx of related content in the editorial page.