Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Professional-Dork26 OP t1_jab7q39 wrote

Would you say Lexington/Concorde are worth it for history buffs? Is there a museum there? Or is it just a statue/memorial and grass field?

conor5912 t1_jab84iq wrote

Honestly I’ve lived here all my life and only ever driven through the towns. the NPS seems to have some pretty good info/ scheduled events. Maybe even some battle re-enactments?

Professional-Dork26 OP t1_jab8svu wrote

> Maybe even some battle re-enactments?

Oh wow that would be very cool!

becausefrog t1_jac31ob wrote

You'd have to reschedule your trip to see any of the reenactments, but for a history nerd I think it's worth it. The Plimouth Pawtuxet living history museums are worth it too, but that's maybe for another trip.

GM_Pax t1_jab8zi5 wrote

Lexington Green has the field and statue, and also a Visitor's Center. Not a museum that I'm aware of.

Just a mile or two from there, though, is the Minuteman National Historic Park, where you can walk through the location of actual battles during the opening hours of the Revolution. The park also often has events and such that teach about history, and how people in that time period lived. Definitely worth the time to go.

As for GETTING there? The Minuteman Commuter Bikeway stretches from Alewife Station (the end of the Red line subway) through Arlington, right past Lexington Green, and up to Bedford. It's a bit far to walk (a couple miles), but not at all too far to ride a bike. (You'd probably have to rent one, of course.)

Professional-Dork26 OP t1_jabbnqt wrote

This is an amazing response and exactly what I was looking for. Thank you sooooo much!

bobby_j_canada t1_jacsjig wrote

If you have any flexibility in your plans, as a history nerd it might make sense to delay your trip a few weeks to the Patriots Day weekend instead (April 15-17). That's when the "big grass field and a few statues" in Lexington/Concord will be a lot more interesting since they have battle reenactments and other events to commemorate the anniversary of the battle itself.

Not sure how committed your plans are, but given that it's only three weeks after your planned trip and you're coming here for the history, it might be worth thinking about if you can do it.