Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tleon21 t1_jabd6tx wrote

I would plan to take the T unless you are ok paying $25+ for parking garages. It’s walkable for sure, but especially with rain you’ll want to have a backup plan. I lose ~5 years of my life every time I drive in Boston and wouldn’t recommend unless necessary

Professional-Dork26 OP t1_jabdfxr wrote

What's "the T" exactly? Train?

bobby_j_canada t1_jacrinm wrote

The "T" is the nickname for the MBTA -- Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority. People usually use it to refer to the subway, but the MBTA also runs buses and Commuter Rail trains as well.

The four lines of the subway (Red, Orange, Blue, and Green) and buses are considered part of the same network, and you can buy a daily or weekly "Link Pass" for unlimited usage of them. This is what you'd use when getting around Boston, Cambridge, etc..

The Commuter Rail trains (indicated in purple on the system maps) are their own network which require you to buy separate tickets: you'd need to take the Commuter Rail to get to Salem and Concord.

GM_Pax t1_jacd7a3 wrote

Mostly subway, but parts of it are on the surface, especially the Green line.

Liqmadique t1_jabnqt4 wrote

The subway portion of the T is fine for getting around the core tourist parts of Boston (or you can just walk around - its a small city), but drive if you want to go to Salem or anywhere outside Boston. The commuter rail is a god damned fucking disaster and you're more likely to spend time sitting on the tracks than actually enjoying your trip.

−9

GM_Pax t1_jacddt3 wrote

>The commuter rail is a god damned fucking disaster

Maybe your line, but not the whole system. The last several trips I've taken on the Lowell line, in either direction, have gone without a hitch.

Subject_Rhubarb4794 t1_jadfgh4 wrote

I mean, this is just andecdotal evidence. At least find some actual data if you want to "well actually...."

−2

GM_Pax t1_jadfvfp wrote

And u/Liqmadique's claim isn't equally anecdotal and devoid of actual data?

Subject_Rhubarb4794 t1_jadg3he wrote

did I say that or claim either of you were right?

−2