Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

robthad t1_je6yfd0 wrote

It's a never ending revolving door. The woman two people before was great, but scapegoated just like this guy will be.

Pinwurm t1_je8btaq wrote

Beverly Scott - and the T ran fairly okay under her leadership until the 2015 Snowpocalypse. MBTA didn't have the equipment to de-ice the tracks and shit couldn't move.

Falling on the sword was, in retrospect, the wrong move. But the public was angry and Baker needed a head. I remember her press conference, she did not want to resign. But it seems like it was either that or get fired. Scott was appointed under Patrick and resigned under Baker, therefore Baker looked like he was cleaning house and it boosted his support.

If Eng is scapegoated, it's a poor reflection of Maura Healy's judgement. She appointed him. It also would reflect poorly on the State senate - since they often hid behind the excuse of Republican leadership as to why the T doesn't work.

So it's in everyone's best interest for this to succeed.

Personally, I think the MBTA's failings lie in a failure to manage the budget they already have. Other public transit systems do more for less. I'm keen to give this dude a chance.

MgFi t1_je92ovh wrote

As far as I can tell, it's not the state Senate that's the problem as much as the house. It always seems to be Mariano that's dragging his feet.