Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Lt_muckety_muck OP t1_jdxq6a9 wrote

I'm not in a position where I can just throw away $1800. Still in school, and for a long time (med school). Biggest risk to me is they don't show up as I'm moving to another apartment July 1st.

1234seventeen5678 t1_jdy6ebg wrote

Lower the overall price if they pay full upfront? And/or require first month right away if not

aray25 t1_jdyh136 wrote

It is illegal for a landlord or sublessor to accept full payment in advance in Massachusetts, even if the tenant or sublessee offers.

Absurd_nate t1_jdyv3to wrote

Massachusetts also allows requiring first and last month, which would be full in this case. I don’t think the full payment would be an issue given the length of the lease.

Legally I’m pretty sure you could argue a cheaper “pay in full” just by calling it a 2 month sublet with first and last required, and the more expensive option just called a month to month rental, but I’m not a lawyer.

aray25 t1_jdztlvj wrote

You're right, I'd missed that this was only a two-month sublet. Accepting full payment as "first and last" should be legal, but there are a bunch of rules around the collection of last month prepayment that OP probably doesn't want to deal with.

Lt_muckety_muck OP t1_jdyriou wrote

Good info, thank you. Though I know this happens all over Boston.