Submitted by Boston2024 t3_126x8a0 in boston

Hello! I'm registering a new car from out-of-state dealer. They want me to register car myself in-person at RMV (bc I also have out-of-state license, that stumps them). I would LOVE advice on which RMV to go to as a walk-in. I'm living in Cambridge, taking an Uber to an RMV. I have to go tomorrow/Friday/last day of month bc can't drive car til it's registered. My plan is to go to Watertown RMV 30 min before opens. But I have no idea if that's the best location. Asking because I've read RMV walk-in is not easy, and appointments not available for car registration, and AAA not an option for new car registration. Thanks for any advice! :)

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Wtf_is_this1234 t1_jec19jz wrote

If you really live in Cambridge you need an MA license. I would be shocked if anyone at the RMV is willing to help you, even if what you're trying to do is technically possible. Again, if you live in Cambridge, you need an MA license.

To register the car in MA you need an MA insurance policy which will also be hard to get with an out of state license.

Boston2024 OP t1_jec6ris wrote

Thanks for replying. I'm a college student, so my permanent residence is another state. I looked up out-of-state license and registering car in MA. It is allowed, but hopefully it works. I have a MA insurance policy for this car. Just looking feedback on walk-ins at RMV locations. Seems like it can take hours in certain locations, or walk-ins are turned away.

Wtf_is_this1234 t1_jecccd4 wrote

You are trying to do something that's very unusual.

If you are truly a resident elsewhere and a full time college student, you can and should just register your car in your home state. If your goal is to get an MA registration to get a RESIDENT parking permit, they're going to expect you to get an MA license too.

lilbitspecial t1_jecdy8l wrote

Shouldn't be a problem going to Watertown as According to the MassRMV website you do not need an appointment for registration transactions.

https://rmvmassdotappt.cxmflow.com/Appointment/Index/2c052fc7-571f-4b76-9790-7e91f103c408

Registration Related Transactions

Transactions that CAN be performed at an RMV Service Center without an appointment:

Register My Vehicle Reinstate My Registration Transfer Vehicle to a Surviving Spouse Amend My Registration Confirm Identity for a Registration Renewal

Just make sure you have your stamped RTA, bill of sale, and payment including taxes.

maxVII t1_jeciwdd wrote

Check if your insurance can help you. I have geico and they took care of the out of state registration. Also I had an out of state license and that never came up as an issue, I’m not sure if I slipped through the cracks as some other comments here indicate that’s not really a thing. For reference this was may 2021.

Boston2024 OP t1_jeeub6k wrote

Thanks, can't do that because my state on West coast requires car to be present for registration - DMV checks the VIN and the odometer in person. BUT, I just got out of the Watertown RMV, showed up early, and 1 1/2 hours I have plates. No question or issue w my OOS license. Thanks for the help!