Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

theliontamer37 t1_jef247g wrote

If they’re a requirement for employment they ABSOLUTELY need to be in a collective bargaining agreement

−1

pjspin0331 t1_jef6kps wrote

This is just it. There was already an existing memorandum of agreement between Local 718 and the mayors office made during the interim. Mayor Wu went against the existing MOA and then refused to meet with the union to discuss further, which prompted all the legal action to begin with. If there is an existing MOA, one of the two sides can’t just up and dissolve it when they feel like it. Thus making this a labor dispute and not really a CoViD dispute.

theliontamer37 t1_jef82dx wrote

Exactly. It had little to do with the actual vaccine and more to do with the union saying we don’t want to set the precedent where mayors can just come in and set new rules without negotiation.

pjspin0331 t1_jeff981 wrote

Precisely. It was an action made that circumvented an active MoA, thus also circumventing the main power of a union to collectively bargain for its members. If the mayor can just do what she/he wants, including violating an existing MoA, then that’s the end of public safety unions. What recourse would they have if not the right to collectively bargain?

When you don’t honor an existing MoA and then also refuse to meet to come to a mutual solution, then you are no longer acting in good faith and other means will become necessary. This is the real issue, not the CoViD vaccine mandate.

−1

Quincyperson t1_jefe7f4 wrote

Except that the city and the union had already bargained this particular issue

theliontamer37 t1_jefeh7x wrote

Yup, With the previous administration. And mayor wu broke the agreement and refused to renegotiate

downthewell62 t1_jefa2xh wrote

No, because they weren't NEW requirements. Vaccine mandates for these kinds of workers have ALWAYS existed

theliontamer37 t1_jefag2c wrote

Please tell me you realize there’s a difference between existing vaccines, and adding NEW vaccines to the requirements. That makes it NEW. Jesus Christ, do some research my guy

downthewell62 t1_jefdcb4 wrote

> Please tell me you realize there’s a difference between existing vaccines, and adding NEW vaccines

Please tell me you realize that you don't have an itemized like of vaccines you agree to vs ones you don't written into a contract, and any time one is added (like a variant of a flu shot), you have to renegotiate the entire union contract, right?

theliontamer37 t1_jefe7rd wrote

Lmfaooooo what? They absolutely do have a list of vaccines you have to get. That’s how you know which ones are required. I don’t even understand that part of the comment. A flu shot is a flu shot. Covid is not the flu. When you add new health requirements, which an entirely new type of vaccine would fall under, you negotiate. That simple