Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

McFlyParadox t1_jefa8bz wrote

An EUA is being approved. An EUA is authorized during public health emergencies, after all the hurdles regarding efficacy and hazards have been cleared, but the rest of the bureaucracy hasn't been completed just yet. There never were any "unapproved" vaccines or treatments floating around, at any point (excluding the times when covidiots were suggesting bleach enemas and horse de-wormer),

50calPeephole t1_jefjzdy wrote

Literally ran first in human clinical trials on the vaccine during the pandemic, so I guess you can argue both sides have valid statements.

I'm not arguing who's right here when it comes to EUA's I'm pointing out that, as a medical researcher myself, the when of requirements matters. We were still collecting data when first shots in arms were being injected under the EUA.

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/mcm-legal-regulatory-and-policy-framework/emergency-use-authorization

>Under section 564 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act), when the Secretary of HHS declares that an emergency use authorization is appropriate, FDA may authorize unapproved medical products or unapproved uses of approved medical products to be used in an emergency to diagnose, treat, or prevent serious or life-threatening diseases or conditions caused by CBRN threat agents when certain criteria are met, including there are no adequate, approved, and available alternatives. The HHS declaration to support such use must be based on one of four types of determinations of threats or potential threats by the Secretary of HHS, Homeland Security, or Defense.

May authorize unapproved medical products...

The vaccine didn't get approval until much later, but essentially it still wasn't approved, and still in clinical trials. The fda's own website states this clearly. Vaccines were still in phase 3, or wide scale clinical trials looking at safety and efficacy:

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/vaccines/emergency-use-authorization-vaccines-explained

I'm 100% with the FDA on this, the benefits outweighed the risks by far.

I'm also with the workers on this- until the vaccine is officially approved no person should be forced to take it against their will as a condition of their continued employment.

How do you negotiate the middle ground of "we need workers and we need to stop the spread?" I have no answers for that, but I do not believe that terminating employees was the right way.

−8