Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Mei_Flower1996 OP t1_jdmhw6m wrote

So it was sort of a thing! Tbh, even just 1 WFH day makes a huge difference. I wanna live with my parents until I start making real money, which would be at least 1-2 yrs post grad. My commute , by train, could be upwards of an hr, but just one day WHF would break that up, you know?

devAcc123 t1_jdo7ks6 wrote

Hate to break this to you but a 1hr commute is generally pretty standard

Shit sucks but that would be considered pretty normal in most major US cities

Mei_Flower1996 OP t1_jdo8bfz wrote

Mine is over an hr. More like 80 mins.

Also in a lot of parts of the US ( non urban, I never said Boston is the worst as a city, it's just worse than the overall average) an hr is considered long. Like, I'm not just comparing cities. The USA as a whole, including jobs in suburban areas.

devAcc123 t1_jdo9cvf wrote

Yeah 80 does not sound fun

Just basing it off the cities im familiar with, mostly NYC and Boston, and a 60 minute door to door one way commute would be seen as completely standard, albeit shitty.

Something like a 10 min drive to the local train station, 40 minute train ride, 5 minute walk to a subway, 10 minute subway ride, 5 minute walk to the office is like the norm for any suburb of NYC

Mei_Flower1996 OP t1_jdo9obu wrote

NYC and Boston are the worst. And I'd imagine WFH is a tad more common in Ny for this reason as well. ( or what was described up here, fully hybrid not really a thing pre COVID, but one WFH day or whatever.)

echocomplex t1_jdp3d46 wrote

I lived w my parents in Boston suburbs for awhile while working in the city, it was about 80 minutes door to door either by driving or commuter rail. Then I moved to Somerville, just 6 miles from my job downtown. Believe it or not, my commute using the T was about 50-60 minutes. Later I moved to Melrose, a town much closer to Boston than my parents town, and considered highly desirable by commuters, but further away than Somerville, and the commute was about 60 or 70 minutes (via bus and subway). After that I bought a house one town over from where my parents live, due to cost reasons, and bc fuck it, my commutes never felt super different even when I was theoretically living considerably closer to work as the crow flies, for me it didn't radically improve my quality of life to live considerably closer.

nattarbox t1_jdmmc6h wrote

Yeah I mean Im just a quick red line trip or 20 minute bike ride, but there is absolutely no way on earth I will ever EVER go back to working in an office lol. That era of civilization is over.