Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

DumbshitOnTheRight t1_jebfgn8 wrote

>I feel like our government is full of stale, passionless people who are just counting the days to retirement. Time for them to get back to work.

When are you applying?

abusive_prick t1_jebb3z7 wrote

If you roll into any bar downtown on a weekday during the day, it’s all state employees, Feds in some cases. I was one of them. Show up at 10, leave at 11:30/12, get blackout drunk and go right home without coming back to the office.

Plant_table_couch t1_jebbiwd wrote

I just have such an overwhelming rage reading this lol. I mean good for you, don’t take it personally but seriously fuck all of the overpaid lazy state employees. Fuck every single one of them.

−2

[deleted] OP t1_jebmq8g wrote

[deleted]

magnetmonopole t1_jec15i7 wrote

Yeah, but they risk getting fired…and they’re not paid by our taxes

steeltoe_bk t1_jecf3ep wrote

if state employees cared at all about getting paid, they'd work in the private sector

magnetmonopole t1_jeco9v0 wrote

Obviously…my point was that they should be punished for laziness because they’re paid with our tax dollars, not that we should pay them more lmao

−2

7573 t1_jec5hfl wrote

Yeah - former executive and legislative employee here... I am shocked that this comment was made, every bit of my experience was the exact opposite. I would love to know what alphabet agency (s)he worked for and if they reported it to the state auditor's office.

My bet is that it is a no, and that the majority of this never happened because every news outlet would be all over that. And guess where there is a press office? Right by the state offices at Ashburton in the state house. Those press people know every haunt in the area. Maybe they worked for MassDOT or something elsewhere, but nobody is going in for an hour of work than "getting black out drunk." The press rightfully hit the MBTA director for working out of state. We had random civic groups drop in on a Friday to see whose offices were open. There is far more attention on who is in than the private sector by far, and it is really easy to see in the press.

As for my 50-grand a year, there wasn't a time that I think I could have made far better money out in the private sector - where I ended up. And in my experience, it is worse with the abuse and waste. So overpaid? Hardly. Talent is bled out constantly because of the shit pay for us cogs that pushed things forward.

Edit: The original poster is a contributor to the conspiracy-addled subreddit #walkaway, which amongst other things peddles election fraud and other things. So believe who you want.

abusive_prick t1_jebc6n1 wrote

Even if we wanted to do work, we couldn’t in a lot of cases, too much red tape. So even if we were in the office we weren’t doing anything. It used to be that our bosses were insistent we had to be physically present from 8-5 outside of lunch. After Covid nobody cared. I left for the private sector last year, certainly can’t get away with that stuff where I am now.

bunk_debunk t1_jebpy8p wrote

Including the person you're responding to. C'mon, don't back down now.

No_Historian718 t1_jebde8t wrote

The problem is the state is severely understaffed. Covid brought a wave of retirements and then another wave when people were forced back into the office. The state is offering current employees a bonus if they refer a new hire…: this has NEVER happened. They cannot hire people.

The_eldritch_bitch t1_jebo53h wrote

I’ve applied for plenty of training roles for the state that I’m qualified for, and I am lucky if I even get a canned rejection email

NoMoLerking t1_jebutd7 wrote

I take it your wife’s brother is not a current state employee?

ETA: Just to add context to my cynicism. I worked every summer during college for the MDC (yes I’m old). This job was impossible to get unless you knew somebody. I literally picked up trash and mowed weeds next to route 16 for minimum wage. All of my co-workers were either college kids or prisoners.

An actual career-track job with health insurance and a pension is not something you can just apply for, unless things have changed dramatically for the better.

No_Historian718 t1_jec6j52 wrote

Totally different now dude- also can’t work summers to pay for college FYI

DumbshitOnTheRight t1_jecauqp wrote

> An actual career-track job with health insurance and a pension is not something you can just apply for, unless things have changed dramatically for the better.

And yet, I did. I know no one in state government work.

michael_scarn_21 t1_jecfe42 wrote

I've applied for a couple of state jobs in the past year and I was very qualified for them. Heard nothing back.

No_Historian718 t1_jecgnqy wrote

Sorry to hear that. With a new administration sometimes jobs are on hold no matter how needed

crazycatfishlady t1_jecb3pk wrote

Email, not phone. I often have to contact state agencies blindly for my job and if I email them I get a response within a day, or even same-day, but phone calls take a few days to a week. I assume most people are working remotely without forwarding systems.

man2010 t1_jebbu27 wrote

People still lounge around at malls?

Plant_table_couch t1_jebcl4l wrote

You’re right. As other commenters have said, they’re hanging around bars.

−6

Longjumping_Course99 t1_jebn9g0 wrote

Dhcd works remote now. They go into the office 2 days a month

muralist t1_jebvkuh wrote

No excuse, I work remotely 1-2 days a week but my phone is forwarded and I am expected to pick it up (not a state employee obv).

_fatewind t1_jecdamq wrote

DHCD is swamped. The problem isn’t with them but with state funding.

bunk_debunk t1_jebpp2c wrote

I feel that a lot of organizations -- primarily governmental and medicinal -- are taking advantage of our Covid hangover. Doctors are slow to get back to face-to-face appts., government workers don't answer phones, appts. are often scheduled months out when they really don't have to be. Minor civic interactions such as appealing a traffic ticket seem more complicated and confusing.

Many of these things were bad before, but now forget about it.

−5

Plant_table_couch t1_jebpuu6 wrote

Hit the nail on the head. It’s going to take leadership saying some uncomfortable things I think to arouse everyone back.

−4

das-Tanner t1_jebzzk9 wrote

No, they are lazy pieces of shit

−6